Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a bad alignment cause vibration at highway speeds? My steering wheel is off center by about 10 degrees to the right. It doesn't really pull to the side, but at about 90kms and up it vibrates like mad! Anybody know if this is in fact the alignment, or is it something else like a loose inner tie-rod? btw, it's because I hit a drop in the road from our lovely construction crew...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Definetly sounds like an alignment problem to me. I've had that same problem many times before.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
asso said:
Can a bad alignment cause vibration at highway speeds? My steering wheel is off center by about 10 degrees to the right. It doesn't really pull to the side, but at about 90kms and up it vibrates like mad! Anybody know if this is in fact the alignment, or is it something else like a loose inner tie-rod? btw, it's because I hit a drop in the road from our lovely construction crew...
asso,

If your suspension took a serious enough hit to knock the steering wheel out of alignment, it's possible that the impact also damaged the tire and/or the rim. Damage to the tire carcass may not show up during a balancing because the tire is not loaded. A weak point in the sidewall could cause a vibration at highway speeds.

Another alignment spec that can cause vibration is caster. Three words sums it up nicely: shopping cart wheel.

Take the car into a shop and have the front end carefully inspected. Have them specifically check for a bent lower control arm, bent tie-rod or even a shifted steering rack.

How severe was this impact?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was a pretty big hit. It was a loud crunch. I have to wait to take it in, when I have some cash. Thanks for the advice.. I wasn't sure if I should trust Canadian Tire or not. I had to bring it there for the aligment and balancing, but they told me that the inner tie-rod had play, and the outer tie-rod was bent. They didn't have the parts, so they didn't do the alignment. I got a quote for close to $400 w/ everything... I dunno.. I jacked the car up when I got home, and I wiggled to tire, and grabbed the tie-rod, but I didn't feel any play, and I didn't see any bends, so I guess I'll get a second opinion from a mechanic I'm more likely to trust. Thanks again for the reply.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Also if a shop says that "whatever" has play (which seems to be a popular thing for them to say) ask them to show you what they mean. This way when you take it into the other shop you can tell them what the other said and find out what is really the problem. This will help you prove that the shop was lying and then you can let everyone you know just how bad of a place it really is.

·
Registered
416 Posts
my mx-6 had a mean vibration around 65-75, so i got the alignment, balance, front end imnspected, everything and still nothing worked. so i put the front tires on the back and the back on the front, and the vibration is gone...i gues i have a bent wheeel and could only feel it when it was connected to my steering rack, i know im gonna need new wheels soon, but at least fo rnow it works...hope it does for you too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts