Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, On my 89 626 Turbo, we changed the timing belt and now it sounds like a tractor! It goes like a shower of shit but just sounds bad. It seems to be coming from the oil pump area, the waterpump has been replaced since Ive owned it but you never know.

Has anyone had this before?

Thanks!

-Dion

·
Registered
215 Posts
hi,
is it doing it since you replaced the belt or before if so check the timing covers (plastic) becuase i have over tightened the 10mm bolts and they were rubbing on the belt also the the idlers to

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Red, it not that sort of problem, but thanx anyway :)

yeah will need to check the idlers.

It makes the sound even with the cover not on the car. It started as soon as the belt was replaced, the old one must have been stretched as it didnt drive too well, now it does drive good, but it makes a god awful sound!

Will need to check the idlers next.

Thanks for the info!

-Dion

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only the top one, I will have another look at it on the weekend.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
313 Posts
oooooo i know this problem!!! but i'm having a brain fart mate, it happened on a 626 i replaced the head on, but fckd if i can remember what caused it at the moment, if i remember i'll be sure to let you know mate, if it's a "knocking" sort of noise like diesel engines make i know what it is, just having a brain fart...

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YES!!!

thats the sound.

please please remember :D:D:D

thanx!!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
it was belt slap!, try taking the covers off, loosen the tensioner and turn the cam backwards a touch and it will tension it properly.... that was the problem i had, maybe different for you, but may not be... but yeah it made the exact noise of a diesel engine... dont remove the spring when you do this...

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanx!

I will have a look at it again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts