Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once in a while when I come to a stop my car idles down really low to the point I think it's going to die but it doesn't. It really freaks me out and it doesn't happen all the time.

Any thoughts on what this could be????

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is cleanign the maf??? I assumed the dealership did the tune up before selling it, but we all now what assuming doesn :D. Bastards probably did nothing. going to have to get K&N plugs and wires and a cap . I wanted to anyhow. No oil leaks at all better not be only 42000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
the maf, Mass Air Flow...its the sensor thing on your engine that is right near the air filter housing. my car was idleing ok, but i cleaned it anyway. this is how you do it:

2.0l only(sorry im doing this from memory so if parts dont make sense post back to me):

buy that air intake throttle clean stuff. you know that stuff in the can. disconnect the battery (dont really have too but i do it because i want to reset the computer so that it can relearn everything). then take off the part of the filter that redirects the air to the filter, from the hood to the filter, take that off and clean it while its out. disconnect any connections to the air filter housing (dont forget where these go!) dont forget about the distributor wire! unbolt the air filter hosing, they should be on the side, there are two? now unclamp the hose that goes to the maf(the maf is the part that says air flow or something then an arrow, it also has a ford logo on it). open up the filter housing and take out the filter(replace filter if you want). now you will see four bolts or nuts holding the maf to the box(this is where you would connect your aftermarket tubestyle intake system). unbolt them and save the gasket(you can reuse this). now you will see a screen with a ring holding it in place. you have to take out the ring to remove the filter. be very careful not to poke a hole though the screen. you will see a hole in the ring, use an icepick or something to kinda pull the ring down a little so that the ring can be removed(that was confusing, but if you know what i am talking about, cool). once you have the screen out, what you have in your hand(should be a metal piece with a black plastic on top) is the maf. if you look inside you will see two filaments, i think you can see it from the opening where the screen was, so i think its on the screenside. if you cant find it, i think its on near the top of the maf in a hole. spray it with the throttle cleaner, gently. when its clean, let it dry for a half hour or so. in that half hour, why not clean your throttle? to clean it, unclamp the hose part that goes to the throttle body, then spray the plate clean, open up the plate then clean the throttle. open and close plate in the throttle and spray, black stuff should run out of the throttle. to open and close the throttle body, you can have someone push the gas to open it or push on the thing(i dont know what its called but i know its just right there, just push it down). dont spray too much. ok now that everything is clean, put everything back. start with the throttle body hose, attach the maf back to box and dont forget the gasket, the filter, the filter cover, attach the hose from the throttle to the maf, bolt down housing, attach all connections to the box, and put back that hood to box piece. now go back to the car and pump the brake 20 times. i think this is how you are supposed to reset the computer, or is it hold it down for 30 secs? well i am not sure so do both. reattach battery cable and give her a start. it shouldnt start the first time because of the throttle, and if there is smoke from the exhaust when you first crank it, thats the cleaner stuff. it takes a couple of cranks to start her up, get ready to push the gas cause there will still be some cleaner in there and it will just stall. keep pressing the gas until it will idle on its own. if it doesnt, check connections. if it works let it idle, no reving for 10 mins. for the first two to three days, take it slow. just break her in slow for a couple of days and by next week or sooner, it will be different.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Same exact thing use to happen to me! What worked for me was that I changed the spark plugs - one was burnt out and then I adjusted the rev's. Its a small screw above the throttle in which you just tightened enough until it's set right on your rpm guage. I think the correct rev's is 400? But check under the hood, there's a sticker that says what it is.

M

·
0 Posts
I had the same problem with my 93. We had to get the idle adjusted higher then a few weeks later... BAM! The transmission went out. 1700.00 dollars later and the simple suggestion that it was that that was giving us the idling problem! Mainly the torque converter... have it checked!!!
Christie and Patrick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts