Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just bought a 1993 Mazda MX-6 4-cyl. (5-spd base, 87,000 miles) in August and I have since discovered a weird idle problem. I noticed that several other people had the problem, but I wanted to describe my problem in detail. Every so often, at startup and at idle after about 20 min. of driving, the RPM's drop to about 250 and the car seems like it will die, but the RPMs go back up again. The problem has gotten worse as time goes on. When I bought the car I had it checked out by a mechanic at Shell, who gave it a clean bill of health, except that it had been in a fender bender (the left front fender and bumper were damaged and replaced). About a month ago I took it to Brown's Mazda, who replaced the timing belt, water pump, and all the other belts. Last weekend I took it to Malloy Mazda about the idle problem, thinking that it needed a tune-up. They didn't think it needed any work, couldn't duplicate the problem, and just raised the RPMs to about 1000 at idle.

The same day I took it to the dealer (after I went there) I replaced the old NGK spark plugs with Bosch Platinum plugs. I didn't notice much of a difference, but now the idle is back to about 750 RPMs (why is this?) Anyway, since then the problem has gotten worse and the car sometimes seems like it will die when I start it, until I give it some gas. I also noticed that the RPMs go up a little when I take my foot off the brake (in traffic) and put on the emergency brake (I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the problem).

Basically, I have no idea what the problem is or how to fix it. I haven't tried to work with the MAF, but I think that is a little beyond me (where could I find someone to do this--the dealer?). Also, can I adjust the throttle myself (where can I do this)? I don't know if this is relevant, but the owner I bought it from (I'm the fourth owner) bought it from Carmax at 80,000 miles. Either the owner or Carmax replaced the original spark plug wires with NGK wires, and some other electrical parts seem new. Another problem I have had is with the wires themselves. Since the ends are so long to reach the spark plugs, I have a hard time making sure they are snug, and one of the wires partially popped off of the plug (this didn't cause the intermittent idling problem--believe me, I could tell when the wire popped off!) Is there anything I can do to make wure that the wires are snug, beside pushing them on there as hard as I can?

Anyway, I know this is a long explanation and it took a lot of patience to read this, but I'd appreciate it if anyone can help me with this problem. If there's anything I left out, just let me know.

Thanks,
Chris

G

·
I also have a 93 4 cyl.. mine is an automatic, but I did experience the same type of problem. Unfortunately, if you have the same thing I had you better dig really deep into your wallet. My car went to 4 places and everyone said they didn't know what was wrong. Finally I took it to a transmission shop (not mazda.. they didn't know what was wrong.. idiots). After tearing my trans down into a millions little parts, it seems my torque convertor was so bad it was falling apart.

Where I messed up was waiting too long to get it fixed. I had to have the whole trans redone. $1700.00!!! If I were you I would get that checked asap just in case you can save yourself a few hundred bucks.

Also if you want to adjust your throttle... there is a plau in rear of the motor... take a long screwdriver... that's where it is!!

G

·
had the same prob, its not the trans

Well when i first bought my car i had the same exact problem, what happened with mine is the fuel injection had gotten clogged up and my throttle body had some small part that had to be replaced in it. The whole deal costed me about $250!!! but when i got it back it ran like a clock and sat at a steady idle. You should get the intake and fuel injection checked out because that could very well be the culprit. Also be careful about dealers i've had some bad experience with what i thought were very reputable Mazda dealerships. you also might just try running some fuel injection cleaner through your car to clean out some of the impurities and carbon build up on your heads and valves which might help.

·
Registered
175 Posts
No No. I know how to solve this problem. Just get yourself some Fuel Injector cleaner. It sells for about 3 bucks (canadian). Fill your gastank and put this stuff in and drive. I swear to you this is how to solve this problem. Your engine just isn't getting enough gas during idle because there's not enough power pushing gas through your injector. I had the exact same problem! I also have a 93 MX-6 4-cl! Trust me on this. Write back and tell me what happens!!
Stay Free.....
Little Bastard,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey,
i have the same problem ....
whenever i step off the gas the idle jumps down to like 200 and then it raises to like 800. when i am pulling down the window it goes down really bad again ....
i tryed to put injector cleaner into my gas but i still have the same problem .....
I changed whole distributor because i thought that might be the problem ..... didnt work
thanks for any help!

[Edited by MarnSue on 11-26-2000 at 06:15 PM]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts