Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been nearly 3400 miles since my last oil change. I went to check the dipstick today and the oil was about 1/2 low and the weird thing was the oil wasn't black. It looked almost as if I changed the oil in it. I smelled the dipstick and it smelled like gas. I haven't run a compression test on it yet but gas in the oil is a sign of failing rings, right?

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
The best way to determine a ring problem is with a leakdown and/or compression test. Try pulling your crankcase breather off with the car running as well and see if it is puffing out smoke. My car does that because I have a cracked piston. Usually if you have a ring problem though, your oil will get really nasty and black very fast. How many miles are on the engine?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Usually if you have a ring problem though, your oil will get really nasty and black very fast.
how fast u talkin here?

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
For me, my oil will go from new to black in around 200 miles.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
115,000 miles on the engine. Took the crankcase breather off and there is no black smoke coming out. It looks like I won't be able to get the car in the shop today.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
For me, my oil will go from new to black in around 200 miles.
cause my oil goes from new to black in about 4000km...

but all my trips are very short trips...could that be a reason?

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
This crankcase breather, is this the one that goes from the valve cover to the intake mani of the intake piping??

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
mx6GT91 said:
This crankcase breather, is this the one that goes from the valve cover to the intake mani of the intake piping??
Sure is

Anyways, I don't think oil is the best way to base your engine's condition. While it is a good indicator, you should always do a compression test before making any assumptions. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that when an engine is cold there is considerably more blow-by and gases will contaminate oil faster, So I would say that it's not uncommon for short trips to change oil color faster than normal driving.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
so the PCV valve is the other pipe that goes from the valve cover to the fuel injection thing with the "turbo intercooler 12v" sticker on it..correct?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The PCV valve is a valve, not the tube. The valve goes "into" the crankcase in which a tube leads from the valve to the intake manifold (yes, where "Turbo 2.2 Intercooled" is). You can pull the valve out along with the tube to test it. (if you pull just the tube out, you engine will die). The PCV valve is about 2" long

1 - 10 of 10 Posts