Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my GT just turned over 130,000 miles. whenever i drive for a while and i come to a stop i smell something burning. its not real distinct but i can smell it. the car runs great but the smell bugs me. i have a little smoke come out of the exhaust at idle too if that helps for a diagnosis.

thanks guys

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
i had that same problem too, but that was when i bandaged my broken pipe with duct tape. . .

·
Registered
114 Posts
What is the color of the smoke that comes out of the exhaust? Does it do it all the time? Or only for a few mins after you start the car, and last only a few minutes?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have never really went on to see if it does it after it has been run for a while. i should get someone to drive behind me to see if it smokes at all during driving. when i have seen it smoke it was just light. could not really make out a color. i guess just a smoke color! lol

·
Registered
666 Posts
Okay, the color of the smoke is important for diagnosing where it's coming from. If it's light gray, it's oil burning. And if it's doing it at idle, it could be your valve seals are worn, or like in my car, the turbo has a bad seal. If it stops when it's warmed up, it's probably not that bad a leak, and when the oil thickens, it won't leak anymore. If it's black smoke, it's running rich, and I really couldn't tell you why on that. Check your trouble codes and see if any emissions equipment is malfunctioning. If the smoke is white, it's coolant burning. That could be bad, and could indicate a cracked/warped head, bad head gasket. Good luck figuring it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts