Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few times I've driven my six, when I try to open the sunroof I have to hit the button a few times before it starts to open. It closes okay (for now) but it's really slow. Does this mean the motor is going? If anyone else has had this problem, what did you do to fix it? It's not that big of a deal to me, since I like convertible tops better than sunroofs, but it would be nice to be able to open it and not wonder whether I'm going to be able to close it later!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Its typically the sunroof switch, not the motor. You'll notice when the button is depressded it should click if its working properly, but it can lose its contacts which make it close slower or eventually not at all, in my experince it always frezzes open, not shut so be warned...

·
Registered
360 Posts
actually this summer i had to push it for like 1 secs, it would move a very little, and than if i holded it it would open completly.

now since few week when i close it it close REALLY slowly i have to help it close with my hands. I think in my situation it's more a motor problem than you.. dunno sweetie.. but i don't feel like changing the damn motor since i think those cost a LOT.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
ah my sunroof has been the most troublesome thign in my car

it didnt work at all... and the dealership told me $400 to fix

so i started tinkering..... i ended up putting a new fuse in, wiring the power wires to a new spot, getting a new switch, and investing in some good lubricants... $20 for everything

it took work cuz a lot of thigns went wrong and i stil have to push it up a little when im opening it and i help it out when its closing just cuz im usually stopped and my hands are free so i just pull it

if it gets stuck open just take that little circle peice of plastic off the ceiling and manually shut it.... then you should probably unhook the switch and never open it again

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the thoughts, guys. It sounds like it's going to be a pain no matter what I do, so I think I'll just play it safe and keep it shut. Of course, the car's at the mechanic right now, so maybe I'll stop over there and bat my eyelashes at them and see if they'll take a look at it without charging me. :D

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
/\/\X6Ster said:
Ive got a good question, where is the sunroof motor located.. I mean im sure its in the roof, but how could anyone ever get to it if it dies??
I've been wondering that too.

·
Registered
141 Posts
hmm, thers a manual crank? Where in the headliner? I mean wheres that plug you remove?

Btw, Hughes, I havnt gotten back to you about that LED yet because im in some money troubles and can do without it for now.. but I will get back to ya on it :)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I have to help mine open and close by pushing it with my hand. You guys have got it good.
i have to push mine open...it cloeses fine...i feel ur pain tho....but right now its way too Fûcking cold out to cruise with an open sunroof lol

·
Registered
141 Posts
So im guessing they did away with that plug in 95-97 models cause mines a 96 and theres no type of opening anywhere to access the motor. I mean mine works great as it is dont have to help it at all but if it goes out i want to know how to access it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.