Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please could someone advise me as to what might cause slight, constant vibration at the steering wheel?
Have had wheels balanced three times and tyre pressures OK.
Whilst not ruling out the tyres as a possible cause, it seems to be time to look elsewhere.
Thanx in advance
Paul

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Warped break discs.

does it get a little worse under breaking?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Paul

You say you had the wheels balanced 3 times was that at the same place ?, if so try another place as the balancing machines need recalibrated every so often and there's might need done.

if that don't work take the wheels off the front and put them on the back and see if that makes a diff.

Dave comes up with a good idea if the shudder gets worse under braking ?, then you prob got a warped disk.

Ken Tracking won't make the wheels shake, just makes the steering wander when the steering wheel is let go ( either toeing in or out to much, and on front wheel drive cars it is usually toeing out to much, due to the power going through the front wheels, it pulls the steering geometry outta wack.

Andy

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Last thing to check is for a bent driveshaft...
It could also be the tyres.

John

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies..
I'll take Andys advice and put tracking down the list..
I've had wheels balanced once on a mobile rig and twice at the same tyre place - these two just changed about 20g on one wheel.
Daves closest I think as its definitely more noticable when braking.
Car was bought from a garage with a warranty, so that might come in useful. Unfortunately same garage seems a little slack on minor stuff I've had them do. Also, went in for service on friday, drove 20 miles home, then nowhere over the weekend, 20 miles to work and have the wheels balanced and find nsf CV boot split.
Will take car in for the CV boot next week and have them check discs then.

currently have uniroyals on and I don't really like them, I can get them to squeal and don't like the (lack of) grip when accelerating, but they don't seem too old and I'm still working on getting the right pressures in them. So, tyre so the bottom of the list for now.
Thanks again, will check in again tomorrow
Paul

·
Registered
359 Posts
hi mate..
just as an addition, you may also find that if its the balancing, then you notice the shake at certain speeds, especially higher speeds.

Rich

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CV boot fixed on friday - should have been thursday but they got the wrong boot! - FREE OF CHARGE oh happy day.
Discs checked and they are apparently ok, as are driveshafts.
I guess I'm back to the tyres as being the cause of the vibration cos no-one can think of anything else.
Much happier with the general performance of the uniroyals since I threw out my old tyre pressure gauge and got a new one!
Will try swapping tyres front to back next...

Paul

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Had the same prob mate, changed the tyres Friday and of course had them balanced, she runs smooth as silk now. Hope its the same for you.

m

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK
swapped tyres back to front/front to back and still get the vibration.
I guess I'll have to blame it on 4 bad tyres????
Thanks for the input martyg - did you go through all the disc checking etc before you bought new tyres?
Paul

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I must admit, since i could only afford fulken tyres last month,the steering has been a bit vibrating as well, you feel every bump in the road with cheap tyres! Plus i had to put the two cheap ones on the front coz me avons on the back are wearing abit :(

Stu

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
No mate, just assumed it was the tyres due to the increase of vibes at higher speeds, ive had same prob on cars before so like i said assumed that was it...and it was.

M

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanx martyg
i've not had a vibration like this before which hasn't been cured by balancing.
guess i'll throw some money at some new tyres as soon as i can scrape some together.
on the money pit theme...
HAPPY CHRISTMAS ALL

paul

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Oh just thought of another possibility.

I had an Alfa 75 a few years back, had this problem, i narrowed it down to the rims not fitting the hub properly. This of course means the wheel doesnt fit square and true onto the hub, therefore the wheel "wobbles" in a similar way to an unbalanced wheel does. Check the wheel(s) and hub for any distortion or ill fitting, if it turns out im right, it will be why balancing didnt help.

I actually had to take a few thou off the inside fitting of the alloys to make them fit over the hub better ( with a round file, took ages). Im also assuming you have standard 6 rims? mine were custom hence the fine adjustment to make them fit properly, so if you have standard ones, have you whacked them on a curb lately? But then a damaged wheel may have shown up on the balancing machine. If not wheel balancing id go for ill fitting wheel to hub, caused by damage to the hub or similar.

Just something to check

marty

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks marty
i've got standard rims - will get them checked out.
Something that may or may not be relevant...
No problem with the ABS until I was playing on a frosty road before christmas and when you REALLY stamp on the brakes it feels like a sledgehammer in there. I've done it again since christmas with the same result. I've done a few "emergency" stops in the four months since i've had the car but this is something different.
Just to repeat - you really have to hit the brakes HARD to get the effect.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just spoke to a car dealer and mentioned my problem and he said he's known cases of cars sitting on a forecourt for some time and "flat-spotting" the tyres. They drive their cars around at least every two weeks.
I think my 6 hung around for two or three months at the garage before I bought it.
Thats all on the subject for now - will go off and save up for 4 nice shiny new tyres. Let you know in a month or two...
paul

1 - 16 of 16 Posts