Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright guys im in the market for new wheel bearings (all 4) and i see i have the option of standard ball or tapered bearings.

i understand

ball bearings - can pit fairly easily and therefore dont last as long but that they are smoother and cause less friction.

tapered bearings - are more rugged and can handle higher loads/stress but they introduce more friction into the mix than ball bearings...

if im wrong anywhere please feel free to correct my mistake :)

im looking for best cost/best performance i dont mind spending a little more for the tapered ones but i want to know if its worth it. anyone on here have tapered wheel bearings?

so pros and cons of both if you guys could. much appreciated

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I have never seen ball bearing wheel bearings. They would reqiure a seperate thrust bearing or thrust surface unlike the tapered roller type.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
really? idk a buddy of mine had ball wheel bearings in his old dodge dart... and he is the one who told me go with tapered but idk whats on there (stock) or what a better option is...

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
I have never seen ball bearing wheel bearings. They would reqiure a seperate thrust bearing or thrust surface unlike the tapered roller type.
check out GM's, and also what you're thinking about is a RACE ;)

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so im guessing the stock bearings are tapered by the reaction you guys are giving me... correct?

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
I've never replaced the bearings, but with our cars being FWD, I would assume they are sealed. I don't have my WSM in front me, so I can't be for sure :shrug:

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
check out GM's, and also what you're thinking about is a RACE ;)
No. Ball bearing races are not designed to survive under thrust loading. They require a sepperate bearing because there is so little surface area on the sides of the races. tapered roller bearings are designed to work well under compound forces.

I have never worked on any car with ball bearings in the hubs. They have all been tapered roller types.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
The bearings in these cars are tapered rollers, 2 back to back in the one shell.

The good thing about that design is that the pre load is set, and cant be changed, the bad thing, if you disassemble the hub you destroy the bearing in the process.

They have a long life compared to conventional tapered rollers and ball bearings.

I did have a car that had ball bearings in the hubs....but it was light, i.e 670kg, 1475lb.....and they didnt last all that long but are easy to change.

I doubt there would be room for a suitably sized ball bearing in the hubs on our cars....

I am doing a whole pile of wheel bearings atm, I might duck out the back and take some photos.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm well thanks for the info i guess the parts guy doesnt know what he is talking about

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
pile of used bearings (front)

hub as pressed out

knuckle with bearing pressed out

all put back together with new bearing

Reactions: Looby

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
my gt-four has ball bearing wheel bearings. They each have two rows of ball bearings. Its far from a light car stock, around 3200-3300lbs. Mine probably weighs in at just under 3k. I've killed 3 so far. Nothing like pulling the rotor off and being greeted by two dozen little balls rolling all over the driveway

1 - 11 of 11 Posts