Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hehe, well I suppose this isnt a big kill but I just felt I had to put it down since I was surprised. I got a I4 Auto 6 with just two mods ( intake and Exhaust ) and me and a friend were going to the movies . he had his girl and her bro in the back in his 96 auto tranny accord sedan ex with a CAI, and I was by myself. We got to a light and both floored it, I started taking him out and I was like " what the hell ?" I only had him for a little over a 1/4 car length till we got to the next light. Then we hit it again and same thing. did this till we got to the movies and I suppose he was mad cuz He couldnt believe it either and was pretty quiet. :( (we were on Rossevelt Blvd here in Philly, heading towards Neshaminy Mall) . I suppose he couldve taken me if he didnt have two people in his car but judging by that race, I dont think it wouldve been by much , maybe 1 to 1.25 car lengths. Im just surprised cause his car is about 145-149 hp , and mines is like est 126. He did start to gain on me one time though, I cant remember if it was because I let go of the gas a bit before he did to prepare for breaking for upcoming light .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,664 Posts
Good kill :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,391 Posts
and those have stock 145hp so could 150-155 wit cai(give or take)
HAHAHA!!! It is a 4cyl motor with a very small displacement AND no type of f/i is on the motor. It is not going to see a 5-10hp increase with a CAI. It MIGHT see a 3hp increase. Most likely the wheels will see a 1hp increase with something like that on such a small motor.

Only f/i cars and large displacement motors such as v8's will get such good increases. On my car I can spend $200 for a new plenum, bigger TB, and CAI and get a 20hp jump. An FD motor will see about the same with just a CAI, maybe 3hp less or so.



Good kill by the way man :tup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,955 Posts
aggiedj02 said:
HAHAHA!!! It is a 4cyl motor with a very small displacement AND no type of f/i is on the motor. It is not going to see a 5-10hp increase with a CAI. It MIGHT see a 3hp increase. Most likely the wheels will see a 1hp increase with something like that on such a small motor.
See them on Import Tuner all the time, 4 bangers with CAI gain 8~10hp (with dyno prove), so they are lying? :shrug:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,391 Posts
MazdaMX6 said:
See them on Import Tuner all the time, 4 bangers with CAI gain 8~10hp (with dyno prove), so they are lying? :shrug:
4banger n/a? I can see improvements like that with a turbo 4cyl... not a n/a car.

Show some slips of a n/a 4cyl gaining 8-10hp. The claims companies make are much different that what they do. A 75mm TB for a 2V Modular Mustang claims good improvements, but actually loses power unless I get accomodating mods.

Take a stock 4cyl n/a car, run it... wait about 30 minutes while adding a CAI, run it again on the same day on the same dyno with the same atmospheric conditions, and I will eat my words.

Don't believe everything you see on TV or in magazines... the Tornado claims a hp gain and better fuel eco... do they work? NO!!!
 

·
Eternal College Student
Joined
·
4,645 Posts
aggiedj02 said:
4banger n/a? I can see improvements like that with a turbo 4cyl... not a n/a car.

Show some slips of a n/a 4cyl gaining 8-10hp. The claims companies make are much different that what they do. A 75mm TB for a 2V Modular Mustang claims good improvements, but actually loses power unless I get accomodating mods.

Take a stock 4cyl n/a car, run it... wait about 30 minutes while adding a CAI, run it again on the same day on the same dyno with the same atmospheric conditions, and I will eat my words.

Don't believe everything you see on TV or in magazines... the Tornado claims a hp gain and better fuel eco... do they work? NO!!!
marcus,

civics and accords and pretty much any honda usually respond very well to the addition of an intake mod. this is not due to the displacement of the motor, because what you say IS true in a certain respect. it's due to the very restrictive nature of the stock airboxes that hondas are equipped with. keep in mind, these start out to be emissions happy vehicles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,391 Posts
i dunno :shrug:

It just seems a little too high a margin. I can understand in the case you are stating to have maybe a 5hp gain or maybe even 7hp... but 10hp from a CAI on a 4cyl is just hard to believe.

:shrug:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
Super Street, i think it was...or SCC had a thing where they showed actual gains on a few cars from stock, CAI, Cai & Exhaust. i'll have to borrow the mag from a friend again. I forget what it said. Something like an average of 7hp gain with an intake and exhaust. The intake was generally 2 at the wheels. The improvement come when those few hp comes across the powerband, not just at the peak. Generally the cars lost bottom end but gained hp in the higher rpms. Add more and the mods complement eachother i guess. Not as easy to get HP out of a 4cyl as a V8. Add breather mods to a V8 and you get somethin crazy like 20HP. Good kill on the Accord, those arent all that fast...the 4cyls. V6 would've def. beat you with his passengers. You would've takin him for more had you been manual. You guys should run with no passengers, i'm kind of curious how much he'd pull on you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
hey now...all i said was 5-10...thats not exact im sure it varies by condition and other mods.... id imagine the average though is probably 5-7 or so at the crank....ive heard as high as 10(mags...cant nessecarily take them at value as half the time they are trying to sell CAI's) and i've heard of as low as 2 from an accord site(at least for a 94-97)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,955 Posts
I'll try to find them in my magazine ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,949 Posts
In my 4cyl mx6 I usually beat most accords that are around 89 through 97 with their 4cyl engines. It is the 98 and up that beat me.

And most 4cyl car that are dyno tested in magazines usually have F/I. But I'll take a closer look and make sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,228 Posts
Accords and Civics intake piping is about 1.5-2in in size. They also have a huge air box and resonators. Most of the intake piping size for the for Civics and Accords are around 2.5-3in. Plus theres no resonators. Just intakes will give huge gains with Accords and Civics. The new AEM V2 intake for 96-00 Civic DX gave a 12hp gain to the wheels. The intake is also around $250+. The intake piping on the DX is also about 1.5in piping with 2 airboxes. Its really weird.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,955 Posts
I was gonna look thru all my magazine but skoo is too crazy :p

Thanx for the info mx6GT91 :)
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top