Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving around town just the other day and I came up on a base model 2 dr. sunfire. It was lowered,hubcaps taken off. and a exhaust sticking about 3 inches out from the bumper.(looked poorly installed) Anyways I was with my gf who is the bad influence on me (always trying to get me to race) So this guy takes off from the light really hard, and I didn't. So like always my gf is like "I think he wants to race you". So a little ways down the street is another light that we get stopped at. So he looks over and I'm like fine ok lets go. So we go, and OMG!!! he almost beat me. I didn't hook up right away but it was a decent launch. He pulled out without a prob. and by about 110 km he was still close. I know there was nothing that wrong on my part because later that night I beat a z24 with a cat back. I could not hear his car but I was just wondering is there any superchargers or turbos for the 2.2 L. Because damn he was quick for a 2.2L...that's just not right.

·
Registered
264 Posts
GM and some other companys do make a superchargers for the 2.2 ecotec motor. which is a good thing cuz w/o one, i can run faster than it. im hopin this is what u raced because all my experiences with the n/a 2.2 have resulted in disaster for them. and you said you beat a z24 later and they have a 2.4 and are way more powerful than the 2.2. so im guesin he had some other mods besides an exhaust.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I think those new eco-tecs take mods fairly well, unlike ours unfortunatly :(, good kill none the less :cool:

-Bryce

·
Registered
195 Posts
I Raced a Cavalier 2003 z-series (wich have 140hp ecotek), and he owned me. We were crusing at 45km/h then he look at me and i look at him, we both downshifted in second gear, and after approching to redline (90km/h) he took like 1 car lenght at me. I was really pissed off. We had to stop because we where between 2 lights.

Not sure if his car was having some mods, it was looking very stock and brand new out of the garage. Didn't talked to him , he was turning.

·
Registered
744 Posts
over on probetalk I saw a few posts about these ecoteks and how they beat some atx PGT's. I was impressed but you always have to keep in mind that those motors are pretty fresh (20k miles or less) and have some good legs left under them. Where as most of us have older engines that are due a rebuild. But yes those ecoteks take mods extremely well due to the higher compression and great head flow. For a littel engine they are decent, I wouldnt want one but I give chevy props for giving the 4 banger some decent balls N/A.

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
JeanFran said:
I Raced a Cavalier 2003 z-series (wich have 140hp ecotek), and he owned me. We were crusing at 45km/h then he look at me and i look at him, we both downshifted in second gear, and after approching to redline (90km/h) he took like 1 car lenght at me. I was really pissed off. We had to stop because we where between 2 lights.

Not sure if his car was having some mods, it was looking very stock and brand new out of the garage. Didn't talked to him , he was turning.
I had pretty much the same thing happen to me. It was one of those cavaliers with the hood scoop on it. We were steady at about 30mph, I was in second, and we both took off. He ended up beating me by about the same, but only until about 55. I'm sure I would've ended up beating him in the long run, or if we went from a stop. I have not had any luck with racing from a roll. I lost to my friend's mid 90's bonneville from a roll much the same way.

·
Registered
195 Posts
raced an mp3

Well, I feel that if we raced from standstill and goes through 1 - 2 - 3, I'll be ahead of him, but not by much.. A good race to try.. If I can find one someday.

A Friends of me own a Mazda Mp3, stock, wich is 140hp. When we race from standstill, I have at least 4 car length on him when I shift to 4th gear and reach around 95mph.., sometimes more, sometimes less, i'm not really good at start, he own me on the fist gear everytimes :( I must say He have good 17" tire (Handling is amasing) , and I have stock 15po.

We did try to exchange car ( me driving is mp3 and vice-versa), and he OWN ME real fast on that race, at least 6 car length, this explain how poor driver I am, and how the start is important.. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts