Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have yet another question regarding my 1988 mazda 626 lx. i recently regrounded the negative battery cable, (one wire going to the body, and the other going to the bolt for the strut) when i start up the car it runs fine and keeps its charge, but when i turn the car off the battery dies slowly unless i disconnect one of the battery cables. maybe the grounds i have are somewhere they shouldnt be possibly? this charge problem is really pissing me off, so any advice would be appreciated... thank you!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok i found out what the problem was. i had to rewire the alternator and then it was fine.... so then i jumped it and drove it around for a bit came home and checked the voltage while the car was still on, it read 14volts. i turned the car off and it went to 12.5 volts and stayed there and didnt drop at all. i figured i was fine. so i let it sit for a few hours and went outside at checked the voltage again, it read about 12.5 volts once again. i went to turn the car on and tried to crank it for about 2-3 seconds and it wouldnt crank. i went under the hood and checked the voltage with the meter and it read 9 volts. i didnt think a car would drop over 3 volts by trying to crank the engine for a few seconds... any suggestions on what may be the problem? by the way, i replaced the battery, battery terminals, regrounded the negative cable, replaced the alternator, and rewired the alternator all within the last month. thanks for the replies, i appreciate it.... by the way, i have no aftermarket alarms, audio or any of that stuff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.