Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i'm just wondering whether anyone has relocated there battery to the boot as i'm planning on doing this soon to free up some space for my induction kit. i plan to re-locate the air filter to where the battery is currently situated and build a heat shield around it and discard the spare wheel and stick the battery there. if anyone has done this mod could you help me cheers ian also does anyone have the dimensions for a backbox upgrade i.e, inlet diameter, length of backbox, width and height etc

·
Registered
284 Posts
radoxman said:
hi i'm just wondering whether anyone has relocated there battery to the boot as i'm planning on doing this soon to free up some space for my induction kit. i plan to re-locate the air filter to where the battery is currently situated and build a heat shield around it and discard the spare wheel and stick the battery there. if anyone has done this mod could you help me cheers ian also does anyone have the dimensions for a backbox upgrade i.e, inlet diameter, length of backbox, width and height etc
You may need to increase the ventilation in the boot somehow as the fumes given off by some batteries are explosive...

You could hit the breaks one day and blow your boot off! :eek:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm thinking of using a sealed lead acid battery or a gel battery like the ones used on aircraft hopefully i can get my hands on one from work, so fumes shouldn't be a problem

·
Registered
284 Posts
radoxman said:
i'm thinking of using a sealed lead acid battery or a gel battery like the ones used on aircraft hopefully i can get my hands on one from work, so fumes shouldn't be a problem
Good Idea!! Did you get your car started in the end? Was it the battery?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no only just got out of bed gonna go charge the battery now i dont think the cold will help me with this though

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
battery in boot

Dan is correct in that all lead acid batteries can fume under certain conditions.

Gel cells are used on earlier MX-5's. However, the MX-6 starter is 1600 watts & cold cranking current can exceed 1000amperes. I don't think gel cells can provide this sort of current reliably.

I would ventilate the boot myself.

The induction kits I have seen do not require the battery to be relocated although I will admit to not being an expert.

ifc

·
Registered
822 Posts
i sued to have a MX5 and even though it had a gel battery ( pants!) it had a vent tube coming of it which was ported out of the car. maybe worth going toa GOOD automotive place and ask some advice. there are places which just deal in batteries or maybe even a car audio installer as they sometimes add extra batteries etc in boot installs.. Whatever you decide remember that power is lost in long cables so make sure you get really thick battery cable and maybe even a more powerful battery.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
There is a vent on the right side of the boot, in the little side pocket under the boot carpet and that flap. Most people locate the battery in this corner and if you box it in properly as you should... that should provide all the ventilation you need.

·
Registered
757 Posts
It will need to be in a box and vented anyway for MOT as you can guarantee they will fail it regardless of battery type :(

·
Registered
670 Posts
A lot of BMW's have the battery in the boot and its not obvious that have taken any special care to vent it.

I have a spare battery re-location kit of you are interested..

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
BMW battery location

They also have been known to put them under the back seat - again with no obvious ventilation.

ifc

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'm gonna leave the battery relocation until the summer when its nicer working conditions and plus i don't want to put any extra strain on this new battery especially with the cold weather

1 - 12 of 12 Posts