Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to move the battery to the trunk, were do I run the wire from the battery back up to the engine? I know the negative cable just needs hooked anywhere in the trunk, but where does the positive go? Do i need to put any holes in the firewall or the insides of the fenders? I am doing this so that I will have more room under the hood for the air intake. thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just cut off the pos terminal and spliced on some 4 gauge amplifier wire and ran it to the trunk, then hooked up a new battery treminal and ground cable. As far as cutting there was non involved. If you look on the fire wall on the driver side you should see a white cover mounted on the fire wall. Right below it there is a smaller rubber cover. I just took that off, cut a hole in that, and fed the wire through. To run it though I had to take off the door sill, and back seat (that just made it a little easier, you might not have to do it). But either way see if you can find 4 or 1/0 gauge wire, more than likely anywhere they sell systems you'll be able to find it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You can pretty much leave the terminals as is, just get a kit from summit and set the battery up in the trunk, get 0 guage wire if the kit doesn't already have it, and run it under the car, keep it in place with some zipties like on underglow kits. The thicker the wire the better so you won't lose any power from the distance of the battery. getting an optima battery will always help too.
matt

·
Registered
73 Posts
make sure you have zero guage wire though, it needs to be thick to hold up against the elements and conduct well too. that's where getting a good battery comes in too.
matt

·
Registered
73 Posts
shit lol thanks, i forgot about that, if you go to summit they have all of that in a kit for you for 50$, the wires and the hose with a sealed box for your battery. good luck
matt

·
Registered
188 Posts
The one place that comes to mind is anyplace where they sell car stereos. You might also consider a circuit breaker you can also find those there too.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
P_Diddy81_99 said:
The one place that comes to mind is anyplace where they sell car stereos. You might also consider a circuit breaker you can also find those there too.
Fuses or circuit breakers who can handle 200-300A???:eek:

·
Registered
140 Posts
200-300 amps is alot of power

your better off going to to the local hardware store and finding a larg buss fuse. take your cold cranking amps of the battery and round it up to the next closest fuse available. It should be a hell of a lot cheper than a 300 Amp sterio fuse.

To rig up a cercuit breaker wouldnt we worth the time. If your blowing feuses to the point where you exeed the cost of a breaker than you need to put the batery back cuz somethngs wong.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
257 Posts
i put mine in the trunk right after i got the car. bout 3 years ago. i used 0 gauge cable ran in the body panels. then under the hood, i ran the 0 gauge directly to the starter. then i ran a new 4 gauge from there to the main fuse box under the hood.

another way i've done in many other cars (i used to do high end custom installs) was to use conduit under the car. much easier, but a lift or jackstands or ramps help a lot. just drill down from the trunk, run the conduit to under the hood. BAM! done.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
i would say running under the car is a bad idea because if something hits the conduit or wire, you start having problems. among other reasons, its fairly easy to run 1/0 INSIDE the car with no problems. trim panels are a snap and everything should go pretty smoothly.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Under the hood

I mainly want to move the battery to the trunk so that i cab run a full-sized pipe down in front for the CAI. This way I can have less bends and more of a straight shot to the throttle body. Will this extra room also make it easier to put a turbo in later on or is that put in a different place???

·
Registered
257 Posts
my CAI has ONE 45deg bend... thats it! and the pipe is like 15" long. LOTS o intake noise :D (plus a 65mm t/b & stage 5 IM help that too :D )

and as far as the conduit goes, i didnt do it in my MX6. i did it in other cars that dont pop apart as easy. and obviously, i used thick conduit. unless you rally race, you wont harm it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts