Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was coming home, driving about 35 mph, and all of a sudden i heard this psssh sound from under my hood,then a loud squealing sound, i pushed in the clutch, car died, just popped it back into gear and it was running again. belt squealed for like 30 seconds. I go to turn into my house and of course I have no power steering, I did not see anything leaking either. My temp was redline(thank god i only had to go about 6 more blocks after this happened) and of course I got out and checked and the power steering belt is broken.

now my question is.......I know that belt covers water pump so that explains the temp and lack of steering, but what would made the psssh sound at the beginning of this ordeal? I need to do some investigating tomorrow now but if I had something to go by it would help out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Perhaps either your water pump or your power steering pump has seized. Then caused the belt to squeal then eventually burn out psssh and snap.

Maybe turning all the pulleys be hand and see if they turn.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
definitely plan on doing that tomorrow. it got real cold here today for some reason. i will post back when i try it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had a similar problem with my alternator belt. Damn thing snapped off after whining for a while. When I looked under the hood I found that a part of one of the pulleys was bent outta shape. Banged it back into shape with a chisel and installed a new belt. It never broke again.

Normally that whining sound is due to a loose belt. Are you sure the belt didn't just whip itself off? Did you actually see a broken belt or are you assuming it broke off?

What abbey said also makes sense. If one of your pulleys on the water or power steering pump seized that's the problem.

Now hopefully you didn't warp the head running with the temperature gauge through the roof. :(

·
Registered
311 Posts
The same thing happened to me a while back, and it ended up being my water pump.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i saw the belt was broken, looked burned on. belt had about 1500 miles on it. so i know it just didnt wear out. temp was only high for about 2-3 minutes. pulled in to my driveway and killed it right when it was at max. so hopefully is ok. its been 100,000 miles since water pump was changed out, so i know that was coming up, hopefully(kinda) thats what it is. never done a water pump before, so it would be something new for me.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry it took a couple extra days to get to this. I finally got under the car to examine stuff(after I had the car roll and jack roll with it) and here is what i found out

the crank pulley is moving like it should, tough as sh*t
the water pump pulley is moving with little resistance, not spinning though
the tensioner pulley is free spinning, as in i spin it and it keeps spinning easily

none of the pulleys look bent at all.

i took some pictures of the belt, there was some rubber on the inside of the tensioner pulley but no where else. so evidently nothing is locked up. i dont know if it just slipped off or what, but here are some pics of the break. pics kinda suck, sorry. ribs on all of the belt are perfect(belts only 2 months old), just the break is the bad part. nothing looked burned up, the break matches up on both sides.

i have never had a belt do that, there a possibility something seized then un-seized? or is it more likely that the belt slipped or something and it broke that way? with the rubbed being around the tensioner pulley i would guess that it slipped off towards the inside, got stuck, melt just a smidge than broke.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so what do you guys think? bad tensioner? if so, anyone know where i can get the assembly for cheap? pulley and mounting crap and the bolt.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'd say a pic a part junk yard. I had to pull an adjuster bolt a few months ago. The junk yard I went to didn't have a single 2G MX6, but I pulled one off a 626 V6. Exact same part.

I dunno what the Pshh sound was, but it doesn't sound good. If a new pulley doesn't work, you'll know fairly quick... sounds like there is something very wrong though.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i dont have any junkyards around me. my adjuster bolt was broken though. although the locknut should have held.....but who knows. anyone know if i can just get a new bolt from like Ace? if someone happened to know the length and thread sizes i would be more than appreciative.

·
Registered
33 Posts
its not as simple as that, i believe that the adjsutment bolt is tapered, you know narrower at one end and thicker by the head. but i have replaced that bracket before, and will be doing it again here soon, its a pain in the a**.... have fun lol. but seriously just be patient with itand try not to get frustrated

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ya, If I remember correctly, it's one bolt with two different thread sizes. One small for the adjuster to go on, and a big one that bolts into the bracket and engine to hold it there.

Without junk yards around, I'd say your gonna have to try a dealer, or see if someones sellin one on the site here and can ship it to ya. They're not fun...but they are important. I pulled mine from a 626 at a Pic a Part, the guy just gave it to me... Just had to pay the whopping $1 entrance fee...lol
Def. stay patient... like msteeg said. Frustrated is not good...

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
let me check in my garage and see if I can find my extra one that i no longer need... I've got an extra tension pulley, bracket, and bolt... Been awhile since I've been on that side of the garage. i'll let you know and pm you if I do.

Reactions: yabaguymia

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so i think i messed up on my original conclusion. i was going to put a new belt on today finally(after waiting for a new tensioner bolt) and I realized that I had missed a pulley.

I can't get it to turn, so i am assuming its seized. it is the one right above the crank pulley, I have this assumption its the water pump. anyone care to agree?

if so.......can i replace just the pulley or should i just do the whole water pump/timing belt? I can't seem to find a "how to" for this, anyone happen to have one or link me to a place that does? its the v6.

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
Just replacing the pulley won't correct the situation because the bearing isn't part of the pulley. Follow Leska's writeup for the timing belt/water pump to replace, just Google "leska timing belt pdf".

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
that write up is damn good. i am glad you told me about that. i thought 14 pages was a bit much but then i saw all the nice pictures(very helpful).

ok, last question i think on this subject. with the whole timing belt/water pump replacement, should I need anything more than this list

water pump(and gasket), timing belt, timing belt tensioner, both timing belt idlers
thanks for the quick reply

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
For timing belt tensioner I'm assuming you're talking about the timing belt hydraulic tensioner. There is also a timing belt tensioner pulley that can be replaced. It all depends on how long you plan on keeping the car. Other than that, there isn't anything else to change.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts