Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.

2.5L V6.

I've got a coolant leak on the passenger side, on the hose that comes forward out of the pipe from the thermostat and goes down to adjoin to the hose at the bottom right corner of the radiator. The clamp that holds that hose to the pipe coming from the thermostat has come completely come loose and coolant is escaping there. The hose meets the pipe directly under the distributor, and slightly to the left and underneath the air cleaning box.

What's the best access to fix this clamp? Should I remove the air cleaner or do I have to remove the distributor as well? Anybody tried to get to that spot before?

Thanks.

·
Registered
355 Posts
yep

To get access to the thermostat houseing part of the hose, remove the air cleaner box. Im yet to meddle with the lower portion yet.

Worked well when i replaced my thermostat.

I seem to have a leak around that location. Im hopeing its something similiar and not the waterpump i suffered through installing last july.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah man I've got the air cleaner box out and still cant get to that clamp. I'm headed to go buy a long pair of plyers. What a pain.

Where is your coolant coming from? You'll probably have to run the engine to let it heat up a bit to get a visual on the leak location. We did the waterpump at the same time last year. I'm sure these leaks wont be as much work.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Car wont start.

I installed a new clamp (I just left the old one on there too because I couldn't get to it). Reinstalled the air cleaner box. Hooked up plugs 1,2, and 3 back to the distributor ( I had them off for more room). Reconnected battery, and car wont start. I turn the key and nothing.

Is there some sort of kill switch or something with the stock alarm? What am I forgetting here?

·
Registered
355 Posts
yeah

mabey pull the bottom plastic shield off and go from the bottom ? Dunno if that would work, would have to look.

i see it dripping on the left side of the radiator (when facing the motor from the front). I still havnt had time to pull the splash shields off to see where its coming from.

Funny thing is it really only leaks when is cold, and i check the coolant all the time. Its still full.

·
Registered
355 Posts
TexasBlack6 said:
Car wont start.

I installed a new clamp (I just left the old one on there too because I couldn't get to it). Reinstalled the air cleaner box. Hooked up plugs 1,2, and 3 back to the distributor ( I had them off for more room). Reconnected battery, and car wont start. I turn the key and nothing.

Is there some sort of kill switch or something with the stock alarm? What am I forgetting here?

ewww. Check the connectors and wires that mount onto the air box. Might of pulled something off there. But to not start at all is kinda weird. I know i yanked my knock sensor connector off once working around there, but it still ran. Just threw a CEL. Ive never had a problem with the stock alarm.

Gotta be something that got knocked off or loose or just plain forgot to plug back in. If the CEl is lit up, it should give you something to go on at least. Just dont try to start the car with that damn jumper wire in place.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jiggled negative battery connection and it worked.

Yeah I pulled the splash shield off first to try to go from bottom but couldn't get up there.

Yours sounds like it may be the plug/drain. I'd check that first. There should be a little cut out area on the splash shield you can open to see the drain. Do that first. Mine only leaked when it was cold outside too. I'm not sure why that is.

Mine is running now. Just waiting for the tstat to open and let some pressure build. Hopefully it'll be good.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everything is back together. Seems good. The true test will be in the morning when it's cold. Hopefully I didn't chase the leak to another weak spot. This is the second place I've fixed in a weak.

Regarding your leak, it could be the drain as I mentioned earlier, but it may also be a simple upper radiator hose. I think the coolant from there would drip down to where you are describing. I'd check that first.

Good luck.

·
Registered
355 Posts
TexasBlack6 said:
Jiggled negative battery connection and it worked.

Yeah I pulled the splash shield off first to try to go from bottom but couldn't get up there.

Yours sounds like it may be the plug/drain. I'd check that first. There should be a little cut out area on the splash shield you can open to see the drain. Do that first. Mine only leaked when it was cold outside too. I'm not sure why that is.

Mine is running now. Just waiting for the tstat to open and let some pressure build. Hopefully it'll be good.
Ahhh,,, always those damn little things. Glad shes running.

I thought i checked that once before, but im going to pull the shields off and see what the deal is. Need to change the oil anyways.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts