·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know what the best set of coilover for my first gen 6
I want the best price/quality

DEv

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
the best is ground control coilovers, but they are 400$ a set. but i recoment them, i have them on my car.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Mazda_MX6_Turbo said:
the best is ground control coilovers, but they are 400$ a set. but i recoment them, i have them on my car.
How'd you get them on your 1G? Did you use 2G struts and GC's or did you find a way around that?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Weapon*R also makes a kit for our cars. It's about 250-300 retail, and is made just like the GC ones (6061 Al for the spring seats, helper springs, but uses the friction locking seat, not the trick allen keyed ones like GC) They're supposed to be a higher "stock" rate than the GCs, which makes them even harder to dampen (since I hear GCs even are ath the Illumina's limits). This looks like it would be a good combo with gavin's newly discovered "european 2g koni-sport" strut inserts.

Here's a site I found where someone had the Weapon*R springs on a 2g.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have integra (1990) Number One Kit on my car and its has 350 frear 450 front rated springs, when lowered its a lil bumpy but it handles great, lowered being fenders on tires, when its raised it still handles good but the car seems looser when i take corners hard, CG of course affecting this, when its raised, (for winter) its about or a lil higer then stock and it rides pritty nice but still has the hook up just cornering isnt as sharp. I paid 120 bucks for my coilovers through a place at home, i think if you bought them theyd be a lil more cause i know the guys. But it worked good and i just ground my struts and did the spacer in the front for the bushing that goes in so it turns great and smooth.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Panther37 said:
I really don't know anything about coilovers. I'm assuming that they are adjustable springs? Wow, I sound like such a newbie!
yeah you do. SEARCH!! lol

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
I have integra (1990) Number One Kit on my car and its has 350 frear 450 front rated springs, when lowered its a lil bumpy but it handles great, lowered being fenders on tires, when its raised it still handles good but the car seems looser when i take corners hard, CG of course affecting this, when its raised, (for winter) its about or a lil higer then stock and it rides pritty nice but still has the hook up just cornering isnt as sharp.
What size rims and tires do you have. I had a 3in drop in the front and 2in in the rear and my car ws riding on metal to metal. That was with the soft Intrax springs. Im running 205/40/17's. I now have 2nd gen dropzone springs and the ride is great along with the handleing. I still have about 1-1.5in of wheel gap

If you read the lastest SCC (Sport Compact Car) they tell you that for the best handling isnt the lowest car. Its better to have some shock left for bumpy turns. I guess it would have to do with the stiff springs in the coilover sleeves???

Also the fact that it might feel loose when raised it is probably because your alignment is off. Right when I swaped out my springs I noticed the car felt floaty. Ive had them in for about 1 week now and I think it handles/feels 10times better. I still have to get an alignment though.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
rebel2k4 said:
yeah you do. SEARCH!! lol
Um... HAVE YOU DONE A SEARCH LATELY? Luckily the ONLY OTHER post about coilovers did explain it to me and you could have just said, "yes, coilovers are adjustable springs."

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
Panther37 said:
you could have just said, "yes, coilovers are adjustable springs."
Actually, the springs are no more adjustable than the stockers. It's the lower seat that's adjustable. Ride height can be altered, spring rate remains the same (don't tell gtdream I said that).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mx6_23 said:
I have integra (1990) Number One Kit on my car and its has 350 frear 450 front rated springs, when lowered its a lil bumpy but it handles great, lowered being fenders on tires, when its raised it still handles good but the car seems looser when i take corners hard, CG of course affecting this, when its raised, (for winter) its about or a lil higer then stock and it rides pritty nice but still has the hook up just cornering isnt as sharp. I paid 120 bucks for my coilovers through a place at home, i think if you bought them theyd be a lil more cause i know the guys. But it worked good and i just ground my struts and did the spacer in the front for the bushing that goes in so it turns great and smooth.

So what are you saying is that G2 teg coilovers will fit a 90 MX-6 GT? how much modifications did you have to do? Would they fit on a stock MX-6 shock? thanks man.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
coroncho80 said:
So what are you saying is that G2 teg coilovers will fit a 90 MX-6 GT? how much modifications did you have to do? Would they fit on a stock MX-6 shock? thanks man.
yes they will fit stock wheel.1st ,you will need to gring the lip off the stock strut cylinder. and the 2nd you will need to enlarge the hole on the cap that came with the spring.thats it.I did it and it works.

here is my pic

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/455391/2

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ademan said:
yes they will fit stock wheel.1st ,you will need to gring the lip off the stock strut cylinder. and the 2nd you will need to enlarge the hole on the cap that came with the spring.thats it.I did it and it works.

here is my pic

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/455391/2

Ok, I'm gonna talk to my friend to see what he says. I dont wanna buy the Teg coilovers and they wont work. Do you know of anybody else that has done this?

Thanks for your help man,

Maurice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts