Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, im looking to buy a set of lowering springs and struts sometime soon and the whole thing kind of confuses me. what all do i need to sucessfully "lower" my car. what are the best types of springs/struts? what gives the best ride, maybe what some of them look like? what is installation like? any help at all will be greatly appreciated. thanks

zach

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Springs - Better ride no adjustibility
Coilovers - Stiff ride, adjustable, and can usually go lower than springs.

From there its basically price diffrence.. Id recommend dropzone springs or coils, i know some people will tell you to get the ksports but you dont really want to pay over a grand for coilovers right?

As far as struts,

KYB gr2's > Stock, least expensive.
Tokiko blues > Cheapest upgrade
Tokiko Illuminas > Adjustable Best ride quality, most expensive.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I'd recomend some Illuminas/Blues with some H&R's. It's a low, but soft spring ...and a great set of struts.
Majority of people are against KYB GT-2's, and say they're garbage and a waste of money. Personally I don't think they're TERRIBLE, but when compared to a real aftermarket (lowering prep'd) strut (Illuminas/Blues) you can REALLY tell the diffence.

Pick a spring/coil from a reputable company and get the best struts you can afford ...you'll be happy.

·
Registered
351 Posts
i have H&R with koni sport ( yellow) struts and i'm very happy with this set-up.

would recommand this or
Eibach springs
Tokico struts

Either a mix of these components will give you a good smooth ride

·
Registered
211 Posts
i have the tokico blue and tokico 1" drop with 18" rims. it rides and handles great. i got the full 1" out of the set-up. i post a few pics with this. i got the ebay special. i think any lower than 1" is too low and really more of a pain in the ass to drive around with. especially if your going with a body kit.

the kit

rear strut

left side 1" drop 18" rims

right side 1" drop 18" rims

front left

1 - 9 of 9 Posts