Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best sounding muffler you've heard of. i'm planning on buying a muffler and then putting on some 2 1/2 tubing. i'm looking for a deep sounding, semi loud muffler for under 200 bucks. any suggestions??

thanks
john

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
if u dont mind getting a used one, i had one work great the hks i paid $100 it cost 300 some retail so just out the used stuff

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greddy Baby

Greddy all the way, civilized when cruizing, raises hell when racing... and it doesn't sound like a can full of bee's! And you gotta love the huge tip :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
hks is the best you can get. I'm now sure if you will find anything new by them under $200 though.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
The nicest sound I've ever heard from a KL-series engine was on an MX-3 with a Magnaflow muffler on it. Sweet sound.

My Greddy comes in a close second though I haven't heard too many other exhausts (e.g. Borla) to compare.

That Magnaflow was sweeeet though :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree!

I have a Magnaflow with 21/2" mandrel bent tubing from the cat-back. I got to hear it and a Greddy on a Dyno during a club meet. The two sounded VERY similar. Mine got more poppy/raspy than the Greddy as it got close redline. But, mine cost HALF as much, and if I want to sound arrogant I can say that I had mine 'custom made' :p. I don't like the giant tip that Greddy has. It reminds me to much of the Civic boys, but I'm old so doowuchalike.

The sound changed noticeably after I installed the Pacesetter headers. I liked the way it sounded before a lot better.

BTW My club is going to Dyno again on the 18th. Darin has a Greddy off of his PGT. I'm going to look at the possibility of doing a couple pulls first with the Magnaflow and then doing a couple pulls last after swapping the cat-backs. I wish we had a Borla available, too.
Wouldn't that settle a lot of debates?![/b]

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Re: I agree!

blastmaster_c said:
The sound changed noticeably after I installed the Pacesetter headers. I liked the way it sounded before a lot better.
Yep. The factory Y-pipe under the engine has a "loop" for the rear-bank that goes a bit to the front of the engine and then back where it joins the front downpipe and into the cat. That loop gives the rear-bank an equal length to the front bank before they merge. The pressure pulses are thus evenly timed and the sound is very sweet. As an added benefit, the resulting scavenging is better too (see Figure 13 at http://www.highlandsun.com/hyc/sae920677, at least over an alternative OEM stock system.

The Pacesetters do not have that loop and as such, there are unequal path lengths for the front and rear banks. The pressure pulses arrive at the collector at different, uneven times producing a less than pleasing sound.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yep, the Hot Shot and Brospeed headers have that loop. I have tossed around the idea of getting a Y pipe with the extra loop made for the Pacesetters. This would improve the sound and the power through better 'exhaust pulse timing'. This may be difficult/near impossible because the primaries are so long that both collectors point aft. The Hot Shot and Brospeed headers have very short primaries and a Y pipe very similar to stock.

BTW For those who are about to post, saying, "Pacesetters are shit." I did my homework before I bought the Pacesetters and I chose them for reasons other than the low price. So, SAVE the Pacesetter bashing for ANOTHER thread. It's not a debate I want to get into, especially not on someone else's topic about the best sounding mufflers not headers.

(Mike 94PGT I agree with what you said. This rant was not directed at you in anyway.)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks man

i think i'm gonna go with a magna flow muff. with 21/2 or an hks. at hks's site do they have the mx6 kit listed? thanks

john

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had my car recorded for a Playstation 2 game. It sounds killer with 2.5in pipe from cat back, a "brown box" cat, no center resonator, and a generic import speedshop 2.5in single chamber straight muffler.

Got a tape recorder Chris for the dyno meet?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mufflers

I have a brullen exhuast on my mx-6 with the 2.5 and i am going to tell you i have had so many people tell that it is the best sound for the money. all stainless and comes with a huge tip on the end.

fun for all

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i just used 2.25 in pip cuase the guy that put it on for me told me that u might hit the ground with it and it will not sound that great because u really dont enough air coeming back through the exhaust to pus h it out it would sound bad, and i have 2.25in pip s with a hks dragger muffle and it sounds great it is a little loud, i wanted to get a header and then go up to the 2.5in pipe how would that work out guys do u know

1 - 16 of 16 Posts