Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
i guess while youve got your car clean.....get some really good polish, the stuff thats acutally mildly abrasive. if you take the time to go all the way over the car and really buff it in, not only will it shine like crazy, protect any cracks in the paint, and also prevents water spots. spray on stuff is terrible. thats just general advice id give

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
i used some stuff called Long Life polish. had a pic of a porche on the front.....who knows if its still around though. the bottle has "space age polymers" written on it. lol so about 15 years old obviously

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
honostly out of all the waxes I have used I find that good old turtle wax works better than anything. It gets out small scratches and everything, i love the stuff. My friend says I should use a claybar and get all the dirt in my paint out so ill try it when the warm weather comes back

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
i use turtle wax car wash and the turtle wax express shine polymer...works great and i can buff out water spots with it. I leave my car wet and use the express shine...works wonders on wheels as well :tup:

after your done, you can actually slide the bottom of express shine across the paint and its slippery as ice!

·
Registered
947 Posts
soap and a sheep wool shammy, followed by the microfiber towel for the waterspots, then if i really want to get it good i will wax with zymol, and follow up with Megulars Final Touch Spray, and she will blind ya when its in the sun.. the sliver is bright when its all soo fresh and so clean, and for the black window trim i use Mother, black on black and it looks like it was just driven off the dealers lot 13yrs ago..

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
What i use :
a 1gallon ice cream bucket
Preston Car wash (non wax type)
hand sponge
and a super Shammy

When all said and done it usually doesnt have spots when dry, if it does i take a cotton towel and wipe them off.
I alwase have problems with spots on the rear window, the best solution to that is either apply wax to it , or rain x.

The meguiers wax's are pretty good, but by experieince i alwase have to apply a second coat. Although the stuff comes off alot easier then turtle wax

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
When I detail my car freshly after winter to get it ready for summer I clean everything with a carwash mit. Dry with chamoi (sp?). Use meguirs 3step wax. I use the cleaner step then claybar everything then 2 coats of polish and probably 2 coats of the final wax. Shines like a motha. Check out my cardomain and see for yourself.

metros

·
Registered
947 Posts
91turbo666 said:
another thing is......on my car there is no heat insulation on the bonnet, and so the painted has cracked directly above where the turbo is, so it might be worth getting some heat shielding
.....................HUH?

G

·
I use those lambs wool gloves. I thoroughly rinse it out before & after use so as anything stored won't scratch the paint later on in future washes.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
sorry should have said

and so the paint has cracked

not and so the painted has cracked

thats where im talking about, although you cant see enough detail

and heres a close up of the paint

this is the hottest area on the bonnet, certainly feels hotter than the rest. there is only thin metal there, unlike modern cars that have a carpet type material there to insulate sound and also protects against heat

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
- i wash the car with soapy water and a sponge thing.
- dry it completley with a chamois.
- any little,light surface scratches are buffed out with AUTOGLYM bodywork cut, which i do with a soft cotton towl.
- if it needs a polish, i use autoglym polish on a soft cotton towl (another one) which you buff into the paint... like the cut, it is hard work, and takes a long time, but its
worth it.
- Armourall the tires with a spray that makes them always shiny.
- spray armourall protectant onto a damp dishcloth which i then go over all the black trim on the car, and the rubbers... to keep them good. and i have another damp cloth to do all the interior... all vinyl and black plastic surfaces.

and then i admire that biatch... after a whole afternoon of hard work.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
91turbo666 said:
http://imageshack.us/

http://imageshack.us/

this is the hottest area on the bonnet, certainly feels hotter than the rest. there is only thin metal there, unlike modern cars that have a carpet type material there to insulate sound and also protects against heat
heheh, crowsfeet :(
shouldnt your car have some of that mat under the bonett origionally... if yours is missing, go to a wreckers and take it off another mx6.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts