Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any tricks or optimal technique for removing the lower ball joint on my front wheels?

The manual just says use a pry bar but I guess I"m just not doing it right or my pry bar isn't the right size and shape.

Is using a pickle-fork better??

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
:mad:

·
Registered
752 Posts
If you only have one side of the car jacked up the sway bars is pulling the control arm up so you will have to undo an end link other than that try hitting it

·
Registered
28 Posts
They are unservicable, you have to replace the whole control arm which is a long easier anyways. It's not too expensive either, I think like $70 each I think (comes with the ball joint.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
They are unservicable, you have to replace the whole control arm which is a long easier anyways. It's not too expensive either, I think like $70 each I think (comes with the ball joint.
Yes and no.. My Rs, i replaced just the ball joints in it! It was easy!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pulling my engine so not really interested in replacing the ball joints at this time since they seem o.k.

I have the factory service manual and they say break the fit with a pry bar probably because using a pickle fork is a great way to tear the rubber boot. All the bolts are off that need to be, etc, and both wheels are off the ground.

I got one side off with a four foot piece of steel rod but it was a very ugly affair. (was not good for the boots either as I was contacting the CV shaft boot which you definitely want to NOT tear.
:p
Not sure if the components had any change at all through the years but mine is a 93 V6.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes and no.. My Rs, i replaced just the ball joints in it! It was easy!
I just ruined the boot on my ball joint getting it out of the steering knuckle. It hung up on the collar due to a difference in its alignment with the strut. i found this out after 2 hours of research on this site last night. I remembered reading the the joints were not serviceable but that the boots could be replaced. Do you know how that is done? Also, you replaced your ball joints? Any problems i.e. noise bad steering, etc?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Haynes manual and mechanics will tell u it is unservicable because most people do not have a press. Find a shop with the proper press tool for that ball joint if you can. Good luck with that...

And since when is a control arm $70? Whatever you're on I want double!

·
Registered
319 Posts
^RockAuto sells them for 45$ each. And that is the DORMAN brand, sold at Autozone for 120$ each. Where do you think I bought mine from?
I wanted to know cause I needed one badly. Around here they were like $270...

Looks like at one point the front wheel came off my 6, and slid down the road...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had to use the fork tool I dont know the name it is forked and shaped like a wedg and is made so you can hit it with a hammer. I broke the boot butit seams like napa sells just the boot

1 - 11 of 11 Posts