Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my travels, i've noticed that the stock first-gen headlights are fairly weak at night (my mom says she's passed people with the high-beams on, and has never seen any oncoming cars flash at her). Anyone know of good replacement bulbs and/or driving lights for first-genners that help illuminate the road better?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I have hiper industries xenon bulbs. They SUCK and they're actually WORSE. Here's what I did on both my old mx-6 and my current 626. Keep the stock bulbs, and aim the headlights higher up. Make sure you drive around your car in another car so you can make sure you wont blind anyone. Then, invest in a set of good fog lights. I have hella 550's which are huge (but incredible), but a smaller set might do the trick as well. This combo helped me quite a bit, and nobody flashes me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
headlight bulb change

I have the Naxos Xenon bulb it's better than the stock one and I have a pair of yellow piaa driving lights. But even wiht my driving lights off these Naxos bulbs light up the road way better than the stock ones. This is just my opinion though.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What part number did you use? I did a search and came up with 8 different types: H1, H3, H4, H7, 9004, 9005, 9006, and 9007.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have Sylvania "cool blue" halogens in my car,and w/ no other lights on but the low beams some people flash me thier highs.They are a very "intense",white light and none of my friends have anything as "intense".I've also replaced my fogs w/ a similar trait bulb and can drive w/o headlights,fogs only,and still see the road just fine.The bulb "trade" # u want for the headlamps is 9004.

·
Registered
186 Posts
plasma bulbs

I got some great bulbs from ebay. They are Eaglite plasma xenon bulbs, 80w low/100w high. They light up the road like daylight. I have them angled fairly low, and I've never been flashed by other drivers. They are not quite street-legal in CA where I live, but I havea plan. I used to have the street legal sylvania bulbs, cool blue, or whatever the name was, and I keep the box it my car. The sylvania box says "100% street legal" on it. If I ever get pulled over for the lights, then I'll just show the officer the street legal label. Hehe...
Anyway, the plasma xenon bulbs are MUCH brighter than the sylvanias. They give off an intense white/blue light. Hope this helps..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Plasa / xenon lights

Well.. I have purchased 3 different sets of these so called "hyper white" "Xenon color" and "Plama white" Bulbs. Sure they light up the road. But, have you ever had to drive in the rain with them? They SUCK!! I couldn't see crap with them. Jsut my opinion. :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Re: plasma bulbs

squal282 said:
I've never been flashed by other drivers
Then they aren't bright enough. I get flashed all the time because of my bright ass driving lights.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tap826 said:
I have Sylvania "cool blue" halogens in my car,and w/ no other lights on but the low beams some people flash me thier highs.They are a very "intense",white light and none of my friends have anything as "intense".I've also replaced my fogs w/ a similar trait bulb and can drive w/o headlights,fogs only,and still see the road just fine.The bulb "trade" # u want for the headlamps is 9004.
Thanks, Tap! Now I just need to cough up some dough... :eek:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Re: Re: plasma bulbs

Then they aren't bright enough.[/B][/QUOTE]
They are quite brighter than the cool blues, or the stock lights. However, as I said before, I angled them down to avoid annoying other drivers. When compared to my friend's BMW 540's HID lights, they are about the same "brightness", just his has a much wider beam pattern (almost 180 degrees).

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
I was going to fit Xenon's but used them in my GC instead (long story)

But I still have my 140/100 halogens in the GD...the lens and reflector seems pretty inefficient...I have a relay for both high and low beam on the left side one so as not to load down the factory wiring...the relays connect back to the battery direct.

Not sure about international regulations regarding bulbs sizes etc..I know theyre strict in europe..dunno about the US.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts