Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
between the different 3 models

what are the body style diferences if any.

also what are the different badging that they have. i know LS is one of them. please also tel me the diference between the different models

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The only other differences I can think of are the availability of the M edition in 96 and 97, and a couple more colors available those years (the dark greenish-gray and the dark burgundy color).

Other than that, the LS came pretty much loaded over those years. Appearance-wise there isn't any difference at all.

Tyson

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
get the 95

[the problem with th 96-97 cars is that they do not take well to modifications because of the OBD11

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shouldn't they take modifications just as well?

they are identical engine and car design how would that one part change everything so much?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: shouldn't they take modifications just as well?

if you check out SCC's project probe, they used a 97 pgt. on the same mods that woud make more hp on am older model pgt(headers 5-7hp prm intake 4hp, exhaust 2-4 hp) on the 97 they made an unnotticable difference.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
OBD-II is not a "part" per se. OBD-II is a new set of Federal regulations that every car must comply with in order to be sold in the U.S. The standards were phased in starting in 96 and were mandatory in 98. 1996 just happened to be the year that the MX-6 started meeting these requirements.

What it means is that the engine computer must monitor more things and that more things cause the check engine light to come on. It's why the check engine light comes on in 98 or newer cars if the gas cap isn't tight.

The codes were standardized so that one code reader (an electronic machine) could read the codes from more than one make of car.

Tyson
95 LS (for sale)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Another thing that makes the the 95-96's harder to modify is the a revised muffler. This I think had something to do with that OBD-II or emissons, I dont know, I found it at sportcompactcar.com I think. Anyway they where talking about putting free'er flowing exhaust and headers on 2nd gen Probe's/Mx-6's and they said current aftermarket kits will need to altered in order to fit. These kits fit the 93-94's but for the later years you need to add somthing like an extra inch of pipe to make it fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts