Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so i don't know much about engines, i'm just starting to learn about all this stuff... i just have a question... don't think its retarted or anything... i'm just curious...

so if i came in to a wad of cash... and i *know* someone who wants to do the work... and for cheap...

can you put a 20B twin turbo rotary engine in an mx6? the one from the 3rd generation mazda rx7... i mean mechanically is it possible? and would you want to? i know there would be problems with it being a RWD engine and the car being FWD...

i'm really just a show car person, i was just curious if someone had done this, or wanted to, or planned to, or thought about it and decided it was too costly or too stupid. gimme your thoughts. thanks.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Hello...

This has been posted about before, do a search.
From what I understand the RX-7 is rear wheel so that would be a bit of work but with enough money anythings possible right?

Claeren

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i did a search and nothing turned up.. that's why i posted it.

i *want* a klze (but it costs) so that might be my *last* upgrade. how much more power does it actually give? i mean, the US Spec engine has how much HP? and what is the KLZE? i can't find anything that gives a head to head comparison of the two as to the advantages, disadvantages.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
The KLZE is about 200HP at the crank versus 164 for the KL03. That's 170HP at the wheels versus 135.

Downsides? Not many:

- it's not cheap at $1500 or so plus installation. Some places have them cheaper, some more...
- the KL03 PCM is not calibrated to operate the VRIS correctly for the KLZE and it also uses a milder timing curve. The KLZE PROM may have compatability issues with the VAF used in KL03 engines so the fix is a hybrid PROM with KL03-everything except VRIS and timing which would be customized for the KLZE. Having said this, there are many KLZEs out there running fine on KL03 PCMs.
- the lack of an EGR fitting may cause problems with emissions tests and inspections. Not all jurisdictions have these tests so it doesn't affect all
- I've heard that the sheer number of different combinations of manifolds, heads, blocks etc make it difficult to ensure your actually getting a KLZE versus other, weird hybrids. There seems to be quite a variety of K-series engines and packaging, depending on the car it came out of.

The ZE has a superior intake, better head ports, more aggressive cams, 10:1 compression (versus 9.2:1 for the '03). In most cases it's a drop-in though some end up with goofy intake manifolds that put the throttle body where the brake reservoir is (this goes to that "hybrid" I talk about earlier.)

·
Registered
108 Posts
hey there,

the 20B isn't from the 3rd gen RX. the 3rd gen RX-7 has a 13B-REW, 1.3L twin turbo, two rotor. The 20B is a 2.0L naturally aspirated engine with 3 rotors. It was/is(?) used in the Japanese Mazda Cosmo.

also, the RX-7 is a RWD car thus the engine is longitudinally mounted where our engines are transversely mounted to accomidate the FWD transaxle.

you're probably better off trying to mount a 13B-REW or any other 13B, or 12A for that matter as they are shorter than the 20B (if you can even get your hands on one), and would likely be an easier fit in the engine bay.

best of luck!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks spish for the expl. on why the 20B wouldn't be best... maybe i could go for the 13B.

thanks Mike 94PGT for the KLZE expl. i don't know exactly what you mean on all of that, but i'm new, so i'll still be learning all this stuff.

both of you seem like you know a lot about the engines and everything, keep it up, cuz people like me that are just learning need the experienced ones for the teachers :) thanks for being a good MX6.com community :)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
20B

The 20B also came as a twin turbo rated to 298hp but i hav seen a stock 20B Turbo measured to 324hp
These 3 rotor engines are probably to long to fit a 6
there migth also be some problems becuse of the fact the Eunos Cosmo where a rwd.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts