Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a custom CAI, the one that is floating all over this site. I haven't done the braces yet but my check engine light keeps coming on. It gave me the code for the MAF. What could be the problem? Should I do the braces asap and see what happens? I personally don't think it has anything to do with bracing it.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
On the 2.5L, the VAF code (code 8) is set when the output of the VAF sensor is below 0.2V, typically indicating one of two things:

1) The VAF is not plugged in or the connector is not seated fully.

2) The output wire of the VAF is shorted to ground.

Double check the connector to make sure it's seated all the way and is "clicked" in to lock it.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Definitely, Just unplug it, blow into it or see that there is no debris in the plug and the housing itself and then reattach it until it clicks like Mike said.

I remember when my engine hydrofroze, and I fixed everything and put my manifold back on, I started my car. The good news was that th ecar started but it idled like shit and it was on the virge of shutting off. Then I rechecked the engine and found that I forgot to plug in the VAF sensor. I plugged it back in and the car idled like a baby.....

[Edited by JPMX6GT on 12-11-2000 at 07:53 PM]

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry VAF!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'M STILL HAVING THIS PROBLEM!

Sorry I meant to say vaf! My check engine light doesn't come on till about five or seven minutes after I start driving. Is it possible that the stupid sensor doesn't like be shakin up? It seem like after driving it a while it get shaked around and then gets tired of it so it tells the computer. I still don't have the braces on. I'll probably do that this weekend. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
have you tested the MAF sensor?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
What do you mean about the braces? Are you refering to the braces that hold up the VAF? I don't see how that could be causing any problems. Unless the weight of the CAI while youre driving is shaking the entire CAI and VAF assembly so much tat it has either cracked it or caused some sort of leak. Hook up the brackets, make sure everything is clean, plug up that extra hose from the factory air box with a beather filter, reset the codes and see what happens....

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do you test the VAF and how do you reset the codes?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
connect a voltmeter to the middle pin and ground andturn the ignition on...you should get about 1.0-1.5 volts, start the engine and you should get a reading of 1.5-2.5 volts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
JspecMX-6 said:
connect a voltmeter to the middle pin and ground andturn the ignition on...you should get about 1.0-1.5 volts, start the engine and you should get a reading of 1.5-2.5 volts
?

The VAF has a 5-position connector on it. The one closest to the firewall is the signal output. With the engine off, you should see 4.0V on this pin. If you gradually push the measuring core of the VAF all the way back, the voltage should fall smoothly and evenly to a minimum of 0.35V. With the engine running, you should see something between 3.3 and 1.8V, depending on the idle speed etc.

import_killer, with a 1993 you can read the codes yourself and see exactly why the check engine light is coming on. Go to my web site, click on "Malf Codes" and follow the instructions there.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
oh thats right you guys have the 2.5 LMFAO...my bad:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts