Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5spd V6 2g MX6. the car has no problems except for this cool sounding hiss. as the revs go up the car starts to hiss and it sounds kinda like it's sucking in a massive amount of air.....but it isn't.....the reason I see this as a problem is because I also get a huge amount of power loss when the car warms up......when it's cold it's ok, but when it warms up it just bogs out and feels more like a 4cyl than a V6.........i have a feeling that the hiss and the power loss might be linked. if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
did you try and find out where the hiss is coming from exactly... sounds like a hose or something may be cracked... start the car and try to listen where its coming from, and if you can use a mechanics stephoscope to pin point it

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Yes, you probably have some air leak after the Volume Air Flow meter (which is just immediately behind the air filter box), so unmetered air is entering the engine, and it's running lean.

My guess would be the big rubber elbow, just before the throttle body, or else where the throttle body joins the intake manifold. As m-edition96 says, listen for it, (try a length of garden hose if you don't have a stethascope), or try the trick using an incense stick or cigarette, watching where the smoke goes.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the thing is, the car doesn't hiss unless i'm driving. if the car is sitting still when it's on you don't hear a thing even if you give it some throttle....it's really mind boggling, and this power loss is killing me!!!

NickR said:
Yes, you probably have some air leak after the Volume Air Flow meter (which is just immediately behind the air filter box), so unmetered air is entering the engine, and it's running lean.

My guess would be the big rubber elbow, just before the throttle body, or else where the throttle body joins the intake manifold. As m-edition96 says, listen for it, (try a length of garden hose if you don't have a stethascope), or try the trick using an incense stick or cigarette, watching where the smoke goes.

·
Registered
330 Posts
forum_ghost said:
the thing is, the car doesn't hiss unless i'm driving. if the car is sitting still when it's on you don't hear a thing even if you give it some throttle....it's really mind boggling, and this power loss is killing me!!!

When you accelerate the engine moves (rubber mounts) and rocks forward and back, if you have a crack in the intake boot it can get pulled open when you accelerate. I would start by checking there.

Reactions: Graham_A_M
1 - 5 of 5 Posts