Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know people use different oil filters than called for on mx3's,but is there any bigger ones that will fit on our cars?isnt bigger better, and it would be alot easier to work with too

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
(V)X-6modifier said:
i know people use different oil filters than called for on mx3's,but is there any bigger ones that will fit on our cars?isnt bigger better, and it would be alot easier to work with too
I'm not sure on the I4 cars. I know the V6 engine can take a Vette, 94 I believe, oil filter. So long as you use decent oil and oil filter I don't think using a oversized filter is incredibly necessary. :shrug: But if the I4 and V6 use the same filter, (I honestly have no idea), then you could use the 94 Vette one. If not, just go to Walmart with a oil filter from your car and just randomly open boxes until you find something thats bigger but has the same threading and all.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Mobil 1- $10 & filters to 10 microns & will not fit oil filter wrench as it is round at the end, a pain to remove.

Bosch Premium- $5 & filters to 15 microns & fits standard adjustable end cap oil filter wrenches. Uses similar filtering media, & internals, only partial synthetic media whereas Mobil 1 is all synthetic media. Both filters are made by Champion Labs (not the spark plug guys) who also make several other brands of oil filters including STP and Wal-Mart Super Tech. These are of differing qualities and prices and focus on different markets.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
clutchless said:
Mobil 1- $10 & filters to 10 microns & will not fit oil filter wrench as it is round at the end, a pain to remove.
You can drive a screwdriver through the side of a Mobil 1 filter as well as easily as on any other filter out there ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
v 6 models take a pz109(pennz filter) i would not recommend using a different size filter. its that size for a reason. though other filter threads up to it and it will most likely run fine. i dont install different size filters. i wold a kwik kar lube and tune. been there for about a year. keep to the factory specs!
-kyle

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
PlanoMX6sic6 said:
v 6 models take a pz109(pennz filter) i would not recommend using a different size filter. its that size for a reason. though other filter threads up to it and it will most likely run fine. i dont install different size filters. i wold a kwik kar lube and tune. been there for about a year. keep to the factory specs!
-kyle
If you can give one valid arguement to support using the stock sized filter I'd be impressed. Obviously things only get speced as big as they need to. A bigger filter would probably have been a slightly bigger expense when producing it. I know you'd think that it's too small a savings to matter, but things add up. Same reason my car has a button in the dash that let's me keep my lights up when off in the winter. And 94+ Probes don't. Apparently it was a cost saving measure.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
rylinkus said:
You can drive a screwdriver through the side of a Mobil 1 filter as well as easily as on any other filter out there ;)
i just wrap a rubber band or two around the filter so i can get a good grip on it then twist it off by hand...... :shrug:

·
Registered
275 Posts
i have used the k&n oil filter for about a year and a half, it works good, i noticed my oil was cleaner on the stick at 3k miles than it was with a typical stock replacement, plus it has a handy 1" nut on the end so you can get it off without a filter wrench.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Using a different size filter will change oil pressure slightly not enough to damage or brake anything (atleast i dont think so cause i've never heard of it). But the thing you have to watch out for is that the o-ring on the filter is close engough to the placement and size of the stock filter. If the o-ring is recessed into the filter more you might not get a good seal the same hold true if the diameter or thickness is different. If you ask me it is an unnesesary risk! K&N and Mobil 1 are very good stock replacements from my own experience

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How come people run bigger filters on 6 cylinder mx3 and 6's then?I figured since they were using bigger ones that it must be done for a reason. Does anyone on here use a bigger one that can state why they do?

·
Registered
734 Posts
(V)X-6modifier said:
How come people run bigger filters on 6 cylinder mx3 and 6's then?I figured since they were using bigger ones that it must be done for a reason. Does anyone on here use a bigger one that can state why they do?
Well I use the ZR1 filter on my car because the added volume helps more oil to get into my HLA's which clears up the tapping. Also, with more filter surface area it means that I don't have to worry about my oil getting as dirty as it was as soon as it was. It's just alot better...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats what i figured,bigger filter,more oil being filtered. So if i find a filter with the same diameter ,threads, and o-ring, i should be able to use it. I noticed a filter that was exactly as i just described, but about 2 inches longer.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Larger oil filter usually means longer filter life (since you have more surface area of the filter element) and therefore oil that is cleaner for a longer oil change interval. In addition, larger filter area means more flow rate through the filter, which implies higher oil pressures, which is always a good thing (assuming you have open passageways, of course!)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oil Filter

The K&N performance gold oil filter # HP-1006 will fit the 2.5 with no change in pressure. This is THE premium filter, also has the nut at the bottom for ease of removal. I found no listing by K&N for our cars so I had to match up this one with the stock filter. Listen , do not buy fram filters, they are cheap and the construction is detrimental to the oil flow, they use cardboard valve and such.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Listen , do not buy fram filters, they are cheap and the construction is detrimental to the oil flow, they use cardboard valve and such.
i found that out the hard way 2 years ago when i blew my motor.

·
Registered
89 Posts
MRPopo61 said:
Using a different size filter will change oil pressure slightly not enough to damage or brake anything (atleast i dont think so cause i've never heard of it). But the thing you have to watch out for is that the o-ring on the filter is close engough to the placement and size of the stock filter. If the o-ring is recessed into the filter more you might not get a good seal the same hold true if the diameter or thickness is different. If you ask me it is an unnesesary risk! K&N and Mobil 1 are very good stock replacements from my own experience
changing a oil filter won't hurt anything not even oil pressure. if u use a bigger oil filter you put more oil in.

plz anyone that reads this. if you USE a bigger oil filter. the car will need a more oil. If you add a oil cooler same thing
more oil.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts