Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey man i saw in a previous post you have 225/40 18s on your ride...I was told we cant put 225 on the widest i could go was 215 did you have to roll the inside of your fenders? i hope not i want 18s so bad i have 17s now but with shogun kit they look small for some reason plz hook me up man :) thnx

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes, I did have to roll the inside of the fenders, but only to be safe. I didn't hear any rubbing, but I figured that I would go ahead and do it just in case. I have never heard them rub and have inspected them many times. I think that they might possibly hit the plastic hump you can feel under the fender but does not damage the tire or the plastic. Rolling the fenders is not that big of a deal. If you need help on how to do it, just let me know and I'll try to give you as much info as possible. Also, if you are worried about rubbing, you can go with 225/35 instead of the 225/40. I don't know if you understand this, but a lot of people think that the 40 or the 35 is millimeters. It isn't. It is called the aspect ratio and is the ratio of the sidewall to the width of the tire. Therefore a 225/40 has more sidewall than a 205/40. Even though they are both 40 series tires. 18's look great on the 6 and I really think you should do it. Oh yeah, I also have coil overs and chopped the hell outta my stock bumpstops and it still doesn't rub so if you don't have coil overs and have some bump stops left, feel confident in getting the 18s. I have some pics of my car and am tryin to get them scanned by anyone who has a scanner, but I can't seem to find anyone. Keep an eye out, cause I'm gonna post a link to them soon.

Oh yeah, if you are planning on getting rims with a polished lip, then definitely get 18s. They look too small at 17. That's the only reason I went for the 18s.

I figure I'd take a shot in the dark after seeing that you are in the army in Germany. You wouldn't know a Joel Finkey would you? Prob not.

[Edited by bigjeff on 11-28-2000 at 10:51 AM]

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well bro yes i am in the Army over here but theres a shit load of people over all over the country i dunno your friend but see over here in Germany the 40 in 225/40ZR18 means the sidewall they are different then in the states so if i go 225/35 i have less sidewall then a 40 but i havent added coil-overs yet all the mods i did so far was the shogun kit and rims so everything else is stock so should i still roll the fenders? hopefully in a week or so i can figure out how to put some pics on the site so you can see it :) it looked fine b4 kit with 17s but now looks 17s look small as hell...well thnx for help man i look forward to seeing your 6...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts