Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of MTX Black Gold series subs? They are older...almost vintage subs. I just got a free one in a loaded Black gold box. This thing looks really sweet; it has a white spongey looking stuff filling half of the box (lexan on the back of the box). Does anyone know anything about these subs? Im not sure of any of the ratings on them... anyone (brad) have any opinions on these?

~aaron

·
Registered
339 Posts
Black Gold were awesome subs back in the mid-90's. Unfortunately MTX subs suck now. I'd say the sub can probably handle 300 watts safely. Not sure how reliable they are past that power, though. At least they were considered small box subs back then, so they would only eat up a moderate amount of space by today's standard.

G

·
Well I don't know what the specs are on these subs, I have 2 12" Black Gold's and they're quite nice, sound really good too, I've put them up against 2 Audiobahn 12's that hold 400 RMS a piece, and they out did them =-D, I've savely hooked them up to a 1200 watt amp, the RMS on the amp was 300 x 2 =), so I'm not recommending putting 1200 RMS to em lol... but they're great, if anyone has any specs on these, let me know.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
The Black Gold series was actually very good in it's day, and will perform as well or better than the current 6000 series (or whatever it's called now, lol). Black Gold amps were even better, especially the bad boy 150x2 - still one of the best SQ amps ever built, and balls to match.

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
I had a pair of those. they are still VERY good subs, but they sure are getting old. your right, they really are vintage. mine were 1996. I had a pair of tens. MTX makes garbage subs today. Avoid at all costs, but those older babies were great sounding. I blew one due to over powering, 400 RMS is WAY too much!!!!! try 200 RMS!! there rated fro 150RMS by MTX, yet I put 200 Rms safely. I had a pair of single voice coil 10's mind you. if you want a good sub, check out anything made by Adire Audio, <---- amazing company

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a BG124 12" 4ohm sub in my car right now.
It is from an old system I had in my mustang(3 BG124s powered by 3 MTX Thunder 240ws).

with one 12 and an MTX thunder 240(about 150 watts mono), it sounds pretty good.
Those factory boxes were really nice, they sold for about $500cdn back in the day.

I emailed MTX for the specs on the sub when I built my current box, and they were less than useless. :sigh:

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
^^^ Cool, your lucky to have one!! I hope you dont hook it up to a crappy amp and blow it like I did years ago when I was a newbie. I can totally relate to what your saying about the box specs being way off, I honestly dont have any idea whatsoever why MTX recommended the boxes they did. YUCK. use Bassbox. I had a pair of Blackgold BG104. I paid a fairly pretty penny, but they were worth it. Awesome little subs. IMO

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize this topic is pretty ancient, but it gave me a smile to happen across it.
I was the designer for the Black Gold series subs - worked for MTX from 1993-2000. At the time the BG104 was released for media review, one reviewer wrote “the standard by which all other subwoofers should be judged”.
Glad to know that the work was appreciated!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I realize this topic is pretty ancient, but it gave me a smile to happen across it.
I was the designer for the Black Gold series subs - worked for MTX from 1993-2000. At the time the BG104 was released for media review, one reviewer wrote “the standard by which all other subwoofers should be judged”.
Glad to know that the work was appreciated!
That is really cool, I have a few MTX subs in my basement, bet they where made while you where working there.
I personally am not a subwoofer guy, ran them in the car and kept turning them down until they where off and the music sounded clear, I don't think it was as much the sub but the way the sound came from the trunk, muffled and vibratty and not crisp. Could be car design, the installation or positioning, could be the head unit or the guy who installed it all.
Personally I hear the guitar and singing but ignore the drums and bass. My ex girlfriend was the opposite she could tell what the neighbor or a passing car with loud stereo was listening to just from the bass sound, I can't even tell what type of music was playing (rock, dance, pop). I can identify a song by a few guitar notes of a half second of singing. She loved to dance and could almost dance to anything but I could put on thousands of songs she couldn't dance to, she would try but the tempo and song would change so much she would get mad and ask is this even the same song. I hate dancing, not I hate to dance, I hate dancing, I hate watching people dance, yes I am an asshole but shut out/zone out/turn of the sound and watch people dance one in a million people don't look like gyrating idiots. She said that is why I don't hear bass tones in music.

But it is awesome that you worked for and designed stuff that is and has been in thousands, hundreds of thousands or even millions of peoples cars.

It's more awesome that you joined a forum and revived an old thread to share, I think I know why you found this thread and posted in it. Competition in the 90's was fierce, designing something that was marketed was an achievement, designing something that set market standards is amazing.

TMFS The Man From Sound.

Reactions: TMFS
1 - 10 of 10 Posts