Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
im reluctantly selling my mx6, she's a jspec k plate automatic. in black
she has now run out of mot and tax as i have a van for work.

Good points: she has no rust. the interior is in exellent condition. the body work for her age is good. i change the engine oil every 6 months regardless of how much i used it. i have drained the gearbox sump and cleaned the swarf magnets and replaced with new oil. she's had new plugs ( 3months ago ) and leads. its got 5 original alloys x2 almost new tyres on the front. ( i do have the space saver if required. its still restricted. i have not messed about with the engine apart from having a k&n induction kit. shes been totally reliable since ive had her. i also have a spare interior as well.
had headgaskets done, new pullies and tentioners. and can belt. and water pump. she tested good results on the compression test, also i have a spare rws rack, its had a new on put on and was laser alined. ihave many recipts and documents to go with her. milage is approx 122 thousand.

Bad points: Small dent in bottom of drivers door. ( i have 2 black doors as spares if required, 1 is slightly dented and the other is fine. ideal for the drivers side. the electric mirrors work but they dont fold in, due to the cog in the motor is broke ( both ). thats pretty much all i think, YOU can contact me via [email protected]

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
erm, you need to have a look at the current prices.

J-spec + no mot/tax = £300 tops.

I bought a black j-spec, manual, 90,000 miles with no mot/tax in reasonable condition with everything working on it for £265 in December. It had cosmetic damage to the roof and corners of the car and had been stood for a few months but other than that it was above average.

You can buy a mint 1997 UK mx6 for under £700

1997 MAZDA MX-6 V6 ABS on eBay, also, Mazda, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 14-Jan-09 20:47:43 GMT)

·
Registered
28 Posts
hi mate just up the road from you in somerset
what kinda money would you consider
and is it a ZE
as i only want it for the engine

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Considering we are always complaining about the low prices and value of the 6, why is it we mark them down when people ask for a reasonable offer ? i think 800 notes is a reasonable figure for the car considering the recent work done, and if you were to get an mot and some 6 months tax thrown in should sell no problem.

Come on people .. we are either amazed to see the prices these cars sell at or we are not.

Leeroy, pick a price, quick sale required ? choose a low one.. happy to let it sit a while, stick to your guns.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Considering we are always complaining about the low prices and value of the 6, why is it we mark them down when people ask for a reasonable offer ?

I dont think its a "we" thing really Oddy, its more of a market thing. The mx6 prices have been low for over a year now and dont show signs of improvement. You can only go by what is happening in the buying/selling market and when top notch 1997 cars with FSH and MOT/TAX are going for under £700 you have to question other cars that are older etc.

Yes its a j-spec, but IMO that doesnt make it worth a whole lot more than a good e-spec. My question is why hasnt the OP mot'd it? You have more bargaining power if its mot'd as theres less of a gamble for the buyer, at least provide a failure sheet if you cant afford to get the mot work done.

·
Banned
1,507 Posts
I have to say I agree with Oddball here. We see this happen time and time again, people ask for reasonable money for their cared-for motor, and someone pops up and says its worth peanuts.

If I were to try and sell my car, I would ask for a lot more than the current E-Bay breakers estimates etc. I wouldn't appreciate it if someone came along and Keboshed the sale of my car for reasonable money because they felt it was worth peanuts. I think there's a name for that in the trade - It's called being 'torpedoed'.

I would buy this car for £800. Yes the mileage is high, but apart from that it's in good nick. It'll carry on for a good while yet.

Ben.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I know what you are saying and understand fully. The problem is the "no mot" issue. Would you gamble £800 on a car with no mot knowing that it "may" need expense to get it through an mot, only for it to be worth £800 when you have finished? I know a J-spec is more desirable in terms of bolt ons and performance but if there are issues around the mot you could happily spend X amount on parts etc when you could get a similar car with an mot etc for equivilent money.

I just think its a high asking price for something with risks attached.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Its not too much of gamble .. you could probably make 800 on the car in parts if done right so you would be square, but i guess your looking at it from a dealers point of view and what profit margin you would get more than anything. Thats why i broke my car, there was no way i was going to let sell for half its potential. No one wanted it at 800 with no mot or tax and it needed 50-80 spending to sort the welding, so i sold the parts for 1600 plus ..
I agree, an MOT or Fail sheet would do wonders for the sale, as it will put buyers off.

There's a dealer/breakers price .. and a buy it and use it price.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I'd tempted to buy it and run it if the price was in my range as I have up to £700 to spend on one at the end of the month (yay).

I have a stash of parts from the breaker cars that I could use but I've been looking at R plate 1997 cars on ebay with leather and speedlines, FSH and MOT go for under £700 and they appeal to me more.

I'm not looking at this car as a breaker car, I want one that I can use. Bear in mind, if you take it for mot then pass or fail thats £40+ then theres tax @ £100+ so straight away, you are up to nearly a grand. Sort any issues it has and you are up to forecourt prices.

·
Super Moderator
1,083 Posts
Hi

I paid £1300 for mine just over a year ago. Take away all the mods and custom bits on her and she would be the same as the one Leeroy is offering. I would have still been willing to pay £800 for it (I also travelled about 350 miles to collect it).

I think the point being made in Oddball's first post is that "we" shouldn't jump straight in and criticise a sellers asking price. This isn't a MX6 selling forum - it's a MX6 enthusiasts forum.

Let the seller ask his price and see who's interested. If he's asking for £800 and you're in the market for one at £700, then he's pretty near the mark. R plate or K plate, makes little difference to a bullet proof Mazda. I should know, I went from a '97 to a '93.

Elmer

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
£620.00 for an 1997 like mine.

That's a joke and Used Car Prices should be hardening now as people can no longer afford to buy a new car and manufacturers like Honda in the UK are no longer making them for 4 months.

If people were to ask more for their cars, they should get it.

Personally I think that very good condition 2nd Gen MX 6's whatever their year should sell for around a £1000.00 +

It's up to us as they say.

Paula

·
Banned
1,507 Posts
I see your point Windy - and I have to say that gambling that amount of money isn't good. Oddballs' point about dealer / breaker / private buyer priorities is valid as well however. It's a tough one but I do genuinely think we should try and present a united front about the minimum price for a satisfactory quality MX-6. That way we can not only help drive the price up for our cars and maintain equity, we can also give the car the profile it so badly deserves!

In this case, the car from all angles of photos and description appears to have been cared for in a good manner, and looked after mechanically. I know we can't give a testimonial without seeing it - but we can certainly give it an initial thumbs up can we not?

Ben.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
agreed, but an mot failure sheet would make it 2 thumbs up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts