Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this idea. I am going to remove all guage illumination bulbs (both front and back) and replace it with a pen-sized black light that will be strategically placed to shine thru the light crystal (where the green light shines onto the display from the front already) onto the front of the guages. Acording to my calculations (haha!) this should look exceedingly fresh with the white lettering, black background and white needles! The black will look totally black and the white lettering etc will light up vibrantly!

tell me what u guys think

peace!

·
Registered
375 Posts
That would look tight. I dont think the black light would go thru the light crystal enough to light up the numbers and needles. It would probly work better if you remove the light crystal and mount the blacklight there. I could be wrong, theres only one way to find out ... try it. Post some pics if you do it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
my lighting

My white gauges with red illumination. What do yall think?

sorry, yahoo wasnt working for some reason

[Edited by Importheadmp89 on 02-21-2001 at 01:57 AM]

·
Registered
428 Posts
thanks man, cannot see much detail of the speedo. Hope it looks clearer than it does in the photo.

Still looking for a protege to scam some needles. Thinking about painting mine, will that work, or will it look dodgee?

·
Registered
32 Posts
hey guys on the white gauges how did you scan the fuel and temp gauge faces????? or did you guys just buy the ones from ebay? just wondering cause i was trying to scan the gauges and they have those little needles sticking out that wont allow the gauges to lay flat on my scanner. any help would be great cause i need to put my dash back together within 16 hours from right now and i want to get it done and over with! thanks

·
Registered
375 Posts
gauges

Nathstx5 they are realy clear, this damn digital camera sucks a taking night pics. They are also alot brighter.

Hey 1stgenlover, I bought mine from the guy on e-bay. Before I put them on, I went to Kinkos to get copies of them in case I tore one. If you want I'll send you one set of my copies at no charge, just give me an address. All you need to do after that is scan these, and print them on photopaper. Let me know.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didnt go with the blacklight idea. I'm sure it would have looked dope, but I hear all the UV radiation isnt good for the eyes. So I went with replacing the illumination bulbs with blue ones. The writing looks aqua (like Indiglo) and the rest lights up quite nicely... very Seaworld-like. heh heh heh it looks really good with the white needles too!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
mazda-head said:
I didnt go with the blacklight idea. I'm sure it would have looked dope, but I hear all the UV radiation isnt good for the eyes. So I went with replacing the illumination bulbs with blue ones. The writing looks aqua (like Indiglo) and the rest lights up quite nicely... very Seaworld-like. heh heh heh it looks really good with the white needles too!!
I wouldn't worry about the UV light from a blacklight. If it were really that dangerous, they wouldn't be sold in stores. And to further prevent harm, just make it where you don't see the bulb itself, just its light. I mean these things were all over the place in the 60's.

·
Registered
318 Posts
smachan said:
Rendell said:
mazda-head said:
And to further prevent harm, just make it where you don't see the bulb itself, just its light. I mean these things were all over the place in the 60's.
so was acid.......
You do have a point there...

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
backlight illumination

I was goning to scan my guages and turn them to yellow background. SHould I think change the baclkight bulbs to blue? Its blue interior. Do they make fluorescent bacllight bulbs, are the ones you used easy to find? the blue ones? What is the spec # of the bulbs?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts