Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Chillin'
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This install isn't all that hard, you just need to know some info.
Blaster2 Coil 8202
You don't need the ballast resistor, because we already have one. I did this on my GT. Non-turbo applications may vary.
Below is everything you'll need.
Missing from picture is:

• 10mm socket with extension and ratchet wrench
  • Philips head screwdriver
  • Soldering iron and solder
  • Electrical tape or something else to cover bare electrical wires
  • 1gen GT for installation :p

·
Chillin'
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I'm sure as you have noticed, the mounting bracket won't support the coil. Best way I have found to fix this is get a bracket from a Non-Turbo that has a coil. I have looked in some non turbo cars and not found the right bracket. This bracket may only be in 1genA NA cars. I found mine in a probe. I didn't get the year of it. While you're there, get the wires that attach to the ignition coil of the yard car. You can use these later. These are the parts you should be getting from the Auto Recycling Center:

·
Chillin'
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now you have to take the stock coil, resistor and ignitor apart. However, to do that you have to take it out. Disconnect the negitive conection from your battery. If you're lazy, like to live dangerously and want to be electricuted, like me, you can skip that step. Take the 10mm to take out the 2 screws that hold ignition "unit" in place. Disconnect the wire that goes to the distributor and the wiring harness that goes to the ECU. Take out ignition "unit." Using the Philips head, take apart the "unit."

·
Chillin'
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now we have to cut. Cut the black and blue wires that connectio to the stock coil as close to the boot that connects to the coil as you can. Strip the the wires you just cut and the wires from the other coil. On the original harness, the black wire is positive (+) and the blue wire is negitive (-). Connect the wire with the boot hood to the black wire and the wire without the hood to the blue wire. When connecting, use the soldering iron to connect the wires. Now connect the wire with the hood to the positive terminal on the Blaster2 and the normal wire to the negitive terminal.

·
Chillin'
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Take the bolt out of the mounting bracket and place the Blaster2 inside. While putting the bolt back in, have the resitor act as a washer on the mounting bracket. Mounting should look like this:

·
Chillin'
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Now wrap the open wires with electrical tape so the don't cause a short circuit. Next you have to play with the hight of the Blaster2 coil in the mounting bracket to get it to mount properly. When you have it at a good hight, tighten the bolt on the mounting bracket. Now we just put everything back together. Put the 2 10mm screws back in and hook it up to the distributor plug the igniter back up to the ECU. The igniter will now just kinda hang there, unless you can come up with a mounting option. Plug in the connector for the Blaster2 and the resistor. Hold the break press the break for 30 seconds to reset the ECU. Hook the battery back up. Should be all set })

·
Chillin'
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If there's any thing that's wrong, omitted or just anything I need to know about, please pm or e-mail me so I can fix it. Always remember common sense. Test out the car before you drive it anywhere. Check to make sure all the wires are reconnected to the right spot and everthing is bolted down. Let the engine idle for 5 min before driving it. Then take it for a spin around the block. I will not be held responsible for anything that goes wrong with your car, even if these instuctions are followed exactly.

If you have any comments or want to read other's comments on this project please goto this thread: http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63633

Thanks for tuning your 6!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts