Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The air bag light is blinking in my MX6. It blinks constantly the whole time the key is turned in the ignition. I tried resetting the computer according the procedure I found in a Mazda repair manual on MX-6's, but it didn't work. This car has never had any body or front end damage. I was just wondering if any of you have had this problem. How could I have the problem diagnosed? Can you disconnect the air bag all together if the repairs turn out to be really expensive? Thanks - Andrew

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
AnDaCo2002 said:
The air bag light is blinking in my MX6. It blinks constantly the whole time the key is turned in the ignition. I tried resetting the computer according the procedure I found in a Mazda repair manual on MX-6's, but it didn't work. This car has never had any body or front end damage. I was just wondering if any of you have had this problem. How could I have the problem diagnosed? Can you disconnect the air bag all together if the repairs turn out to be really expensive? Thanks - Andrew
What code is it flashing? Are some of the flashes "long" and some "short"? Are there, for example, 5 long flashes followed by 4 short flashes, then a pause and the cycle repeats?

·
Registered
483 Posts
hello,

I just wanted to say there is a recall for certain mx-6's for the airbag...i did mine. call customer service.

good luck,

anthony

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
JPMX6GT said:
Mike, does the "air bag" light flash codes that stand for something?
Yes. The SRS system will flash codes for things like safing relays, crash sensors, battery voltage etc.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just checked on the blinks, and the light blinks 3 times and then pauses and then 4 times and then pauses and then starts over with the 3 blinks. They are flashes - they don't stay lit for more than 1 sec. I have no idea what these codes mean but I hope it is nothing major. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
483 Posts
hello,

well, the recall was the following...suppose if you get into a little fender bender...the airbag will deploy at such a slow speed. I would call up mazda customer service and tell your VIN # and they tell you if there are any recalls. You don't have to pay.

goodluck,

Anthony

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
AnDaCo2002 said:
I just checked on the blinks, and the light blinks 3 times and then pauses and then 4 times and then pauses and then starts over with the 3 blinks. They are flashes - they don't stay lit for more than 1 sec. I have no idea what these codes mean but I hope it is nothing major. Thanks for your help!
Code 34, according to my list, is:

"Driver's side air-bag / safing sensor: low resistance or shorted"

Take it in. Perhaps your car is eligible for the recall...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW thanks Mike! Where did you get that list of codes? And how can you check the codes without one of those $150 readers? Thanks for all your help - I'll take it to Mazda and ask them about the the problem and see if they can give me a free estimate. Do you have any idea about my intermittent electrical malfunction light?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts