Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had to deal with the transmission HOLD light blinking? I've got a 1989 MX-6 LX Automatic and the HOLD light is blinking. The manual said it's an electrical malfunction so I'm taking my car to be looked at on Monday. Just curious if any of you have had this problem with your MX-6 and, if so, what was the problem and what had to be done to fix it?

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
483 Posts
Dear Mike,

Well, I had the same thing happen to me before my auto tranny went on my first mx-6. the hold light was blinking the day it seized on me. Well, I'm sorry to hear that...but once you find out let us(me) know!!!

best of luck,

Anthony

·
Registered
114 Posts
There is a green female wire connector next to the drivers side strut tower. With the ignition off, ground the wire. Turn the key to the on position, but don't start it. Look at the check engine light and count how many quick blinks before it pauses and starts the sequence again. So if it blinks twice... pause... blinks 3 times... pause then the code is 23. Post what code you get from it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GET IT TO THE SHOP!!!

Ok, I've had this problem, long story, so here we go!! When i first bought my car, i made the mistake of lending it to my friend. He liked to dog down cars, and i didn't know this, anyway, he decided to put it into reverse, floor it, then while the car was still going backwards, slam it into drive and floor it, trying to spin the tires. well, he turned the transmission into a useless hunk of aluminum, and I brought it to my local friendly AAMco Transmissions (If you are in illinois, dont go there, anywhere else is fine) I was in illinois at the time. So 3 weeks later and about 2300 dollars later, I had a "new" (so-called) transmission. Well, the day I got it back my hold light was blinking, but whenever my lights were on and in high beams, it stopped. So, i put a piece of electrical tape over the light to stop it from annoying me, and kept driving. about 1000 miles later my tranny started acting up, it happens right after i moved to virginia, and I'm on a road trip to GA. So I'm almost to my destination in GA, and my transmission loses 4th gear, pissing me off more. I think "what the hell, I'll limp it back" and start back on my way to VA, and about 30 miles into the trip, the car locks into 2nd gear, smoke is pouring out from under the hood, and i stop at a gas station. I have the car towed to the closes AAmco, as the trans was under warranty. and caught a bus back to VA. two weeks later, when i return, they had a new transmission in, and told me the problem was in the transmission wiring harness, there was a broken wire, and how the illinois branch knew about it, but didn't feel they should spend the time tearing the car apart again for one wire. so the illinois shop footed the bill, the GA shop fixed it, and I haven't had a single problem since, with another 12k on the odometer since the incident. so make sure you get that puppy to the shop asap or you'll be pushing a good 2k to fix it later.

BreezyMX

1 - 5 of 5 Posts