Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out that my car doens't have a block heater ... and it's starting to get damn cold up here. I can pick one up from a parts store up here for under 30 bucks but is it possible for me to install it? what's involved? Colder weather is coming soon and I don't feel like paying $150 for mazda to install one.

Someone help!!!!!!!

craig

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
craigmpak said:
I just found out that my car doens't have a block heater ... and it's starting to get damn cold up here. I can pick one up from a parts store up here for under 30 bucks but is it possible for me to install it? what's involved? Colder weather is coming soon and I don't feel like paying $150 for mazda to install one.

Someone help!!!!!!!

craig
where do you live? theres no real need for one unless you live in an area where you get sustained below zero (f) temps for long periods of time.

that said.. block heaters are usually just a heating element you drop into the dipstick tube, and/or an electrical blanket you throw over the engine.

i know there are a million other types, like ones that wrap around your oil filter, battery blankets, etc etc etc.

i say just do it the easy way.. get a large electrical blanket lol. the key is to try and keep the oil warm and liquid, as to some extent the battery.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks goat but up where I live (northern ontario) we need block heaters ... i know of two types, one that's like an element from a stove that bolts to the face of the engine block, the other is inserted after removing a frost plug. as far as i know, there's nothing that will go down the dipstick tube and i've never seen an electric blanket for the engine ... only a battery cover.

i know the mazda unit goes into the block somewhere, I just don't know where! i guess the majority of this board is from warmer climates ..... i was hoping for someone who successfully installed a block heater.

anyone out there?

·
Registered
175 Posts
yo...same prob here...middle of Canada, sustained below zero for the winter...surprise! my new 6 has no block heater! the previous owner had a heated garage...I have a garage, but its not heated...anyone know price/installation price of block heater?

-Ashley

·
Registered
59 Posts
My car doesn't have a block heater either. I posted in the canadian forum a little over a year ago about it. I got some helpful replies but I decided to go with an oil pan heater because it was free at the time. I went through last winter with it just fine. Try searching for that post in the canadian forum. A few replies had a description as to where the block heater plugs into the block.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I also live in Canada. When it started to get cold, I went to plug my car in.. no cord. So when my car was in getting its oil changed, I asked the mechanic to check for the block heater. He said that I had one, just no cord for it. I phoned Kramer Mazda in Calgary, and for 10 bucks they shipped me a cord the next day. So maybe some of you are lin the same boat I was, and have a heater but no cord.... hope this helps someone.

Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts