Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

driving out in the country today.. beautiful straights and flowing corners. Anyway to cut a long story short, I came out of a 65kmh bend in second and nailed it up to around 95-100kmh before changing. As I push the clutch in and let off the gas, and allmighty BANG comes from the engine. S**t I think, so I put in the clutch and the engine just stops. :( hmmm not looking good.

I pull over and pop the bonnet and there is a huge hole where my BOV used to be. I had to walk back 200 metres to find it !

Somehow my hose clamp had snapped so as soon as there was some serious pressure in the intercooler pipes, the valve "blew off"..

A little bit of panel beating got the dent out, so no real harm done..

·
Registered
428 Posts
It must be an omen, you should have given me your piping! This all wouldnt have happened if you had. hahaha

Bad luck though, never heard of that thing happening before.

·
Registered
73 Posts
unlucky. how much boost where you pushing when it let go ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
around 10 psi.. no fuel cut so it can't be much more than that.

I have no boost control or bleed valve fitted, just the more efficent intercooler and piping etc have pushed the car to 10psi.

Sometimes I hit boost cut (12psi) in third gear but never in second.

·
Registered
433 Posts
:eek: OOOppsss!!! that wasnt spose to happen! bad luck dude. but u now know to tighten the clamps up a little more! And you'll actually find that, the standard ecu actually flares the boost to 10psi, as standard. As the same idea as the nissan 180/s13 with the ca18's. There boost is flared to 13psi. So the intercooler and piping will help with air flow, but it wasnt the direct cause of your 10psi, it's all the ecu's doing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ahhh.. you learn something new each day :)

My boost gauge was installed after the pipework so I just presumed 10psi was from the more effiecient airflow at no bleed valve / boost control is fitted.

thanks for that.. :)

P.S: Clamps are done up REAL tight now :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts