Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yea, i'm looking for a blow off valve for the first gen., and i'm also looking for a strut tower bar (i dont care if it's new, or used, just as long as it works) LET ME KNOW WHERE I CAN GET THESE SUCKAS!!!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
me too

Mee too. What did you find?

·
Registered
186 Posts
you can get a rear strut tower bar from the dealership.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
dont need rear

I dont need a rear strut tower bar. They came stock on the 88-92 GTs.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I know they came stock on all 4ws, but I thought that they only came onb the 90-92 GTs. 88-89 GTs without 4ws didn't get one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Rear Strut Tower Bars

Yeah - '88 and '89 non 4ws didn't get rear strut tower bars (at least I hope I didn't get ripped off)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was just at http://www.turboxs.com and they have blow off valves but not for our vehicle. I talked to Mark there and he stated our turbo GT has a bypass valve close to the turbo. He said many turbo owners have customized there own on their intercooler typing. He said if 1)he had a picture of the bypass valve or any info he would compare and find one that will work 2)we need 12 people who want it before he attempts any work. With any turbo upgrade or increase in boost its very important to have these things upgraded. Hopefully we can find people who wants them.

·
Registered
666 Posts
You can NOT get the strut tower bars from the dealer. I tried, and the main factory is OUT and will be out for who knows how long. I was told they had to ship them from Japan and it would take from 6 mos. to a YEAR.
BLAH!
If anyone IS able to get them, PLEASE tell me! I want one really bad!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Mine is sitting at the dealership waiting on the plates right now. There are bars out there.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I orded mine less than a month ago, and it only took a few days to get to Monterey(where I live) from the warehouse in Sacramento. I think that there are a few guys parting out their GTs in the For sale section, so check there too.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Well, all the dealers I've called said no, they can't be obtained. If you can get one from the dealer, PLEASE give me their phone number so I can call and try and get one.
Thanks.
If you don't mind emailing a phone number, it's [email protected]

·
Registered
711 Posts
Plates are in. Will see the bar tomorrow! Will call my dealer and see if they can find another.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Texas, My dealer is awesome. She's looking for another set and will call me tomorrow with results. I paid 61.50 for both plates, the bar, and 2 bolts. If she can find one, do you want it?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
hmm.. its may be a stupid question but what is strut bar? i have an idea but need confirmation

[Edited by Blind Freddie on 03-23-2001 at 05:56 AM]

·
Registered
35 Posts
mkb

Hi Matt, can you let me know if your dealership gets another set for the strut bar. I called my dealership and the want like $90 to order it. I wonder why your dealership is cheaper. Do they have to order it too? Let me know man, and if you already installed the bar does the car feel better and is it worth the money invested? Take care.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
BACK to blow off valves...

Back to the Blow off Valve question. Im assuming that is the valve between the input and the output of the cold side of the filter.

I am putting in a custom intercooler piping kit and a new monster turbo.

1. Is the BOV needed?
2. What causes it to work?
3. Any advantage to upgrading it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
no, you dont need a blow off valve. but they do help;they help aliveate unwanted pressure in-between shifts(for a quicker spool up on your next gear), and they have that awesome p-h-h-h-h-s-s-s-s sound!!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Upgrade?

So should I upgrade it then or not?
I am adding a bigger turbo, intake and exhaust.

G

·
If you are still running with the mass air flow sensor and haven't converted to speed density, you do not want a blow off valve. All the b.o.v. will do is release the air that the computer thinks is in the intake out into the atmosphere. This will cause your car to run SUPER rich when you shift or let off the gas. The solution is an upgraded bypass valve. I believe carparts.com sells an HKS or GReddy unit for $70 or $80.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts