Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

1) Checked the fuses today and noticed the below highlighted is blown. Will replace today but anyone know what this is for? The fuse box cover is missing i think. Strangely - everything i know of is working. Closest diagram i can find online is for a 626 which says it's the wipers/washer - but that's working.

Drinkware Glass bottle Drink Bottle Bottle cap

2) At my last service the mechanic noticed my radiator fan is only working when the AC is on. He said he can spend some time figuring out why it's not coming on automatically. Anyone have any info i could pass onto him to assist?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
View attachment 14450

Hi Rab. Had a look through the workshop manual. I hope this helps. If not Mazda Carnage will have the knowledge you require. Cheers.
Thanks man. Sorry, stupid me - i've highlighted the wrong fuse, and i did find the cover. Looks like they put it in the console because they've put that purple wire in which is wired up to Tail (lights?) - when i bought it a year ago i did remove a towbar. Maybe this is why it's there? Can i remove it now lol?

Anyway It's the 20A next to it, which inteterstingly is labeled as cooling fan. Is this the radiator fan? Just tried now - radiator fan works when the key is turned but the car isn't started (was like this before i replaced the fuse). Once i start the car it turns off, although i was parked and the temp guage was in the center.

Also one more - i could've sworn the brake light used to come on when the brake was pressed and also when the handbrake is applied. It still comes on when the handbrake is applied but not when the brake pedal is pressed.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
What year is your car?

To test the cooling fans operation start the car and

For 88-89 models disconnect the cooling fan sensor on the thermostat housing (sensor on the drivers side of the housing) the cooling fan should come on. The 88-89 cooling fan relay is Normally Closed, this means it's "on" until it receives a ground signal from the Fan temp sensor .

For 90+ models disconnect the cooling fan sensor on the thermostat housing (same location as 88-89) and ground the single pin in the harness connector to the frame, or battery. The cooling fan should come on. The 90+ cooling fan relay is Normally Opened, this means it's "off" until it receives a ground signal from the Fan temp sensor.

Once you confirm the relay and fan are operating by removing or adding a ground signal to the temp sensor pin in the harness . Reconnect the temp sensor and let the car continue to warm up, keep an eye on the temperature gauge. If the cooling fan does not come on it's the cooling fan temperature sensor that has failed.

Until you get a replacement sensor, run the cooling fan the whole time the cars running by one of the 2ways listed above.

Automatic transmission F2/F2T have a Low (177F) and High (226F) cooling fan stages and use the A/C fan at 226F.

Manual transmission turbo models with A/C will turn on the rad cooling fan at 177*F use turn on the A/C fan at 226*F .

Models with A/C, the radiator cooling fan will turn on when the A/C is ON. When the A/C pressure sensor is "on" the A/C fan turns on.

So the A/C fan can come on when the A/C system is turned off if the coolant reaches 226*F.

------------------------------------------------------------

The Brake warning light comes one for 2 reasons, the hand brake is up or the brake fluid level is low.
Therefore if you see the Brake warning light come on when you press the brakes it isn't saying "Hello we're braking now", it's saying "Warning check your brake fluid, if it's low check the system for leaks, if the level is okay check the level sensor and it's connections, before we loose the brakes all together and you crash me into something".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts