Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the day i got my mx6 it toasted in 74 miles :( It started knocking on the way home and got continually worse i probably should have stopped I thought it was the rod bearing but im getting mixed emotions on it, There was some horrible noises and death at the same time. So at this point im curious as to how hard it is to swap out this motor for yet another. Not sure how but it completely blew out the inside of the plug im curious if detonation was the culprit.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm not a mechanic or really to knoldegeable but I know some.. And I think denotation only happens durring forced induction when a lowergrade fuel combusts prematurly from the pressure. Karma from someone if I'm correct?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well as far as i know it varies on compression ratio and how high it is thats why people lower their compression ratio so they can run forced air on pump gas. I am pretty sure this car is stock along those lines internally so it should be fine to run on 87 im just trying to find a reason as to why it blew that plug to peices unless it can be that violent to blow a rod and thats what it sounded like to me.

·
Registered
250 Posts
No karma for you, sorry. detonation is the same as pre-ignition, the fuel bruns before it's supposed too.

If your spark plug is destroyed then it got hit by something either a valve or the piston, either is pretty catastrophic.

How hard? It's definitely not easy. Depends on your equipment, whether or not you have help, etc, etc.

With that kind of damage either junk it or swap in a new motor. Also call up a lemon law lawyer, maybe you can get you're cash back, even if you bought it 'as is'.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea it blew up pretty nicely completely seized the motor, I have all the tools needed im not use to working with these little fwd cars. v8 pickups were more my thing until i got tired of the gas mileage and sold my truck for this. I am trying to get some money back from the seller its ridiculous.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts