Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever attempted or succeeded in the addition of a turbo or supercharger to their KLZE? Im curiouis as to what would have to be replaced to do such a job..i realize that the results must be outrageous with such a good engine.
as far as i know, i would need to add forged pistons and better connecting rods..but i dont know what else nor do i know any details
would the pistons have to be lower compression pistons?
please respond as i am really curious and possibly interested, thanks guys})

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
You would want to change out the rods and piston on the car, but that is how you get some more of the HP difference between the ZE and the 03. so i think if you want to go TC of SC go with the 03 and get the ZE manifold and build the bottom end of the 03 up for max boost. The ZE manifold flows a lot better than a ported 03 will.

there is a probe with the ZE and a SC on it. i will find that site and post it holdon a few min then

http://www.mazdamaniac.com/ SC MX3

i will find the other page, but i heard he took the SC off the ZE so.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well...i dont know if thats accurate

:rolleyes:
well, i really dont know if that entirely accurate. As far as i know, the difference between the KLZE and the KL03 lies within the CAMS and the INTAKE MANIFOLD of the KLZE. The ZE has a better flowing manifold and better cams. This explains the 35hp difference.
The connecting rods and pistons..as far as my research has led me, are one in the same.. there is no difference.
therefore, a rebuild of the bottom end would not make the Ze any less worth it, infact probably more worth it.

I checked out the link for probe industries again (ive been there a few times) and figured that all i would need to do is rebuild the bottom end (forged connecting rods/pistons) and ill will up the displacement up to 2.7 as well as be ready for a safe amout of boost form a blower. (7-8psi)

With such a rebuilt bottom end, does anyone see the possibility of a problem with adding a blower kit to a KLZE? Would the KLZE (Jspec) cams be alright under the pressure of the blower? What about the compression?

MIKE PGT- Can you especially give me some insight as well as opinion on this case?

As always, thanks guys

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm not sure about the rods but the pistons on the ZE are different. This is the reason that Turboing a stock '03 is better than Turboing a stock ZE. The higher compression pistons are a big part of the 35 extra horses under the hood.

95/\redstreak/\LS I'm not sure where you researched this at but it is pretty well known in both the ProbeTalk and MX6 community that the pistons are different. One of the best places to get info about turboing either engine would be at Probe Talk in the Forced Induction Section since we don't have one over here.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If all you want is 7-8 psi then I really don't see the need of using forged units... your 03 can handle 7-8 psi and that is right on the border limits of the engine. I'm doing what Superfly said. Building the bottom end of the 03 with forged units, copper head gasket, cams, and the intake manifold of the ZE... dam, it'll be able to handle 15 psi easily but then there are the other probs like fuel delivery, injectors, trans... basically a major race-designed overhaul. No need for the ZE's bottom... is the same as the 03. Forged units will increase the compression ratio and that's up to you as to what you want. Cams can be gotten from paesco as well as forged units. I looked into getting the manifold of the ZE... talk about expensive.. I'm debating on wether I'll port my manifold from the 03. 03 or ZE heads should be race ported anyway, so use the 03 and drop in a better cam. My .02

1 - 6 of 6 Posts