Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea. My car has weird problem while cold starting. It puffs out a blueish smoke when I start it. Haven't seen any blue smoke coming outta tailpipe when it's warm though. Is it normal?

My second ? is about the cold starting also. This is really weird one. When ever I haven't driven the car for day or more it starts really quick. If it's warm start, it takes about :eek: 3-5 seconds of starting before it runs! It's embarresing and annoying, I tell ya. :( I have replaced my plugs and wires and everything seems to be otherwise ok. Could it be some sort of fuel pump problem??? It obviously is about fuel, right?

Well any help would be appreciated
Thanx guys in advance
Mici

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If the smoke is blue, you're burning oil. If it's black, you're getting too much fuel. Blue smoke at start-up is not uncommon for high-mileage engines. How many miles are on your car?

Hard starting when warm...it could be getting too much fuel (which would cause black smoke).

Does your check engine light ever come on?

Try resetting the ECU to see if that changes anything.

Tyson

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about that engine running rich situation. Well, will see when I get my A/F ratio gauge installed... My MX-6 has 86 000 miles on it.

I think I will try that ECU resetting.

Thanx
Mici

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Yea dude when it’s cold the rings “contract” or more corectly -when hot thay expand. And this is increased when the car is left cold for longer.
The best thing to do is put in some thicker oil; it will stop the burning and restore compression/performance.
Try and get a thick synthetic oil!
Ask the guys at you’re car shop.

As for when the engin is cold...well the engine is cold, their for the air is cold and more combustible.. It should fire up easier when cold, compared to hot. Plus there is less compression, due to the rings not being so tight, therefor it is easier to turn over the motor.

good luck PK

·
Registered
921 Posts
Instead of using the air/fuel meter cant you check your plugs. I believe White means your running lean and really blackish means your running rich.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts