Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My 1st gen is up for sale at the moment, so im in the market for a new(er) car. Ive found a Bluebird SSS Attesa with AWD and SR20DET for a very attractive price, only problem is it has an auto trans. Given that the auto was a weak point in the 1st gen, does anyone know if the same applies to the Attesa? I cant find a lot of info on these cars. What goes wrong with them? Feel free to add your opinions and experiences with these cars :)

Cheers

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah theyre pretty nice, I was impressed by how refined it felt compared to Silvias & 180sx's (both tin cans) of the same period. They weigh about as much as a Falcodore and you really notice the lack of low down torque when driving around town.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
just dont break a CV, unless u have a house to sell and 3 weeks to wait for parts, arnt imports fun :)

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
but the main body parts and panels were sold here new (on the normal bluebird). and as the SR20 was used in the NX, and SSS pulsar here, let alone the imports... well, mechanics will know what they're doing. :tup:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
There's something you didn't take into consideration there RdS - the crazy 4WD system used on the particular model he's looking at. It's pretty specific... and not cheap...

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
im having trouble finding a damn lightbulb in this town! id hate to imagine getting drivetrain components in from somewhere

not to mention when youll need to change those jap lightbulbs :p

it looks like a very interesting car, but if you say its one the heavy side with that drivetrain...and only an sr20. sounds like a distant and diet cousin of the skyline.

good work for looking for something different than a skyline though:smokin:

·
Registered
223 Posts
nothing really wrong with the sss bluebird ... a nice car indeed.....

the motor it self is a good motor .... but after 200,000km be prepared to replace timing chain timing tensioner and timing chain guides .... also the water pump will be due as well......the auto box is strong but they obviously go harder in a manual ... so wat u do is get the gtir gear box and bolt it straight up and get the manual pedal box, shifter, cross member, center console piece, ecu, engine wiring loom,
fly wheel and new clutch, leave the auto radiator because it is bigger than the manual one just send a hose between the lines that come out of the radiator to the box and the other one that goes into the radiator from the box. and use 75w 85 gearbox oil or straight 80vmx oil for the manual box and a mate and two days and u should be finished .... oh by the way u will also need to by pass the extra inhibitor switch that nissans put in there cars

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Old house mate of mine had an auto-> manual convert sss. It had a legit sss attessa box though, either that or a gti-r dakar one. Difference being it had a front viscous lsd which gti-rs dont have, they are open.
Manual box wasnt real strong, he had front mount, exhaust and some boost. It ran a 14.5, then broke the box about a week later. 2nd gear lost a few teeth.

He got a syncro straight cut PPG box (a lot of money later!), which he broke at the drags on his first launch 2 weeks later. They replaced it under warrantee a few months later. As far as I can tell its been fine since.

Not lightening quick, dont drive it too hard and dont mod it too much and it will get a good daily car. If you want to mod the car and drive it hard, get a r33 4 door turbo manual instead.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Oh yeah, there is nothing specially about the awd system whatsoever. The bluebirds simple have 3 viscous diff's and nothing more complex about it than that. Not interesting active torque splits or anything like that.

I dont think they are too bad for parts.

my old housemate got most things through nissan quite quickly, but yes there are a number of specific parts. Drive shafts are different to a gtir. If you were to do something like a CV any shop worth their salt should be able to sort it with local parts from various cars.

I think his car definately handled better than my brothers gtir though, I think the weight distribution and additional wheel base certainly help! Could also run slightly wider rubber than the gtir too which was an added bonus.

It was a good car to cruise around in and still quick enough to scare a wrx. After teh straight cut box it was a cracker, the noise and whine that used to come from it, sounded like something driving at 60 in reverse. People would either think the car was buggered or had a blower (if they had any idea about cars).

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
GotF2TinGD said:
gtirs handle [shizzle] just too much oversteer :p

I don't know what ones yuor driving but all the ones I've seen and driven and complied here in NSW all UNDERSTEER on the limit as per normal.

Not a bad car just a little udner braked by todays standards and of course it's pulsar build quality

on the SSS bluebird the U13's are excellent. The auto is fine but nothing to write home about. just typical jatco box - sometimes they take it other times they don't ?
Best to get a manual one.
But yeah everything Timtx5 said.
the PPG straight cuts are quick good value these days.
but as long as they ar nto abused most of the FWd and AWd box's attache to the SR20's can take a decent beating. It's not hard to get a high 12 second pass.
in terms of a street car the bluebirds finish extra doors and over build make it a much better buy.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome info thanks guys :)

Still weighing up what to get at the moment, so Ive bought an old Camry for the time being haha. Gonna save up for a few months till I can get something decent. At the moment im thinking either

SSS Atessa
Calais turbo (been wanting one of these since I was 9yrs old :))
EF or EL Xr6

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
I dont kow what gtir ur driving to say that they handle lol

you know why the failed at rally ? cant handle

my mate has one with coilovers / strut braces / 17inch rims low profile tyres

push it around a sharpish corner 50-55km and its terrible front end just looses traction *brand new tyres*

same corner in mx6 and it sticks to the road.

gamve over gtir :p

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
ef xr6 is my vote :) awesoem cars great power and all the feaures you'd ever want :) i used to have one but it met an unfortunate demis after hitting a power pole if your looking at one make sure you get one with the full body kit not the half one...also if your going auto cause nearly all of them are make sure ya give it a bit to check the shifts..it tends to clunk over time...

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
IMO EF/L's are limp wristed. Plus they handle like a boat. Believe me when I say our '89 2.0 Carby Telstar on LPG has more grunt than one of those. This EL was on LPG too but even on petrol it was shit. It only had 14X,XXXkms but I suppose it could have been a dud?

But as said **IMO**

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
an ef xr6 your cabry telstar had more grunt that 161 kw (if i remember correctly) xr6..okay then..my handled fine especially with lowered springs and stiffer struts..so eyah mayeb yours was a dud..the ef's especially were still regarded as one of the best falcons produced up until the ba and bf came along...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts