Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
that depends on how good you want it to look. If you dont care about the finished product then you can basically do it all yourself (if you have no bodyshop experience then this will look awful... and whats the point). IF you want GOOD quality work... then count on spending about $3k plus for full fitment and paint. You can spend more (and get a better job with better paint) or spend less (and end up with less) but $3k is a good quote really. That'll get you a nice looking car in the end.

Beware of these well meaning friends that offer to help you out for free. Rarely do they ever have the skill needed to make your car look awesome. Anybody can screw on a body kit... use body-filler where needed and paint (I know I can).. but how good it'll look in the end is a different storey.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
You can fit it yourself, its the bodywork and paint thats gonna drain the pocket.

How much you spend is going to be directlly proportional to how its going to look in the end (unless you do the work yourself and save alot of money) > I put almost 500 hours on my own car, then another 150 that i hired a bodyman to do the final work, and paint cost me 600.

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
^ is that all your paint cost.. man $600 sure buys a lot where you live. here $600 will get you a 10 minute paint job whereas they just paint over your existing paint... its a gong show really. (unless you have connections) even $1k for paint is risking it big time.

Reactions: SIXy man

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies guys... helps out a lot. ive heard mixed results on the macco stuff, anything on this? i hear its crap then i hear its ok....

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Get earl scheib before you go to macco.

Yes, my paint only cost me 600, because it was an oem color, and i did 90% of the work myself.

All they had to do was spray it. (the 100 hours of body work i hired guy for cost me 1500.)

So 2100 total. and about 4-500 hours of my own time.

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
^ Nice one Nate.

I'd avoid Maaco if I were you. It depends on the location SO much that your really gambling. Seriously man.. go call up a bunch of different hot rod/ auto customizations studios in the area and ask them which is a good body shop to take a car to... and you'll see a few names come up fairly often... thats your best choice right there.. thats what I did.. and I personallly have a list of body shops here in Calgary that do phenominal work. So I know that'll work for you.

Best wishes and good luck with your car... hopefully it will be one of the best on this site!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts