Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for some reason on my system everytime i turn the radio channel or turn the volume up from being at 0 it makes this big BOOM sound. its the subs and when it does that all the lights and everything in my car flashes, like its a big power surge. i got a cap, a 1200 watt amp. anything know what it is and how to fix it. it never did it with my old amp.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Some HUs will mute the audio output when the volume is at 0 (to hide the cheap electronics in their amplifier circuits), and some repeat this when changing radio stations. When the amplifier circuit is turned back on (when you go off 0-volume or tune in a channel) they turn on the circuit and, in the process, put out a quick "click" or "pop" through the output circuitry. Put that through a bunch of amps and it turns into a big boom.

A quality HU won't usually have such issues, unless there is a defect or fault inside. Cheaper units will do this all the time.

Incidentally, the same thing can happen when you turn on your equipment from "off", but, again, quality equipment protects against this, and it only takes one component to cause this. For example, I have a cheap, crappy crossover that is causes the "pop" whenever I turn off my system. If I take it out, the problem goes away. But based on your description, I don't think you are dealing with this particular issue...

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
PLease describe the setup, what kind of deck, amps, subs, etc....

Schwin is likely right on, but I'd like more info before suggesting anything. ALso, who did your install?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pioneer primier 7400 deck, PG 1 farad cap, jbl 1200 watt amp, 2 12" audiobahn subs. it never used to do it on my old mtx 600 watt amp. im thinking its the amp. sometimes it does it real loud, and sometimes barley.

I did the install, everything is hooked up correctly.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ill try that tomorrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts