Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the search thing on mods for my car and started out with man. boost controller and guage.

i ordered the man. boost controller and getting guage.

i have a 88 mx6 gt turbo, 2.2L stock eng. runs great just wanna up the performance a bit.

Ive never installed a boost controller or guage.. anyone out there has put one on one of these cars and could give me some guidence i would truly appreciate. Also... IF... i can get it installed, what does everyone recommend for a boost setting. I read without a chip it will only boost to 12 psi but after i install a chip what does everyone recommend a safe level to set it at ? thank you for the help

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
before you put that boost controller on...make sure you do a preventative maintenance check of your car, check your compression, fix ANYTHING that is starting to look/feel/sound suspect.....then put on the MBC. as for the boost gauge, get your PSI reading from the white dashed vacuum line that is connected to the intake passed the throttle body. remember to use zipties to tighten the rubber hose down on the nylon hose feeding your gauge.

as for the MBC install, the boost signal goes "in" to the valve, the "out" to the stock boost control solenoid or wastegate actuator. boost signal is read from the nipple near the compressor outlet. on stock setup, this hose goes to the stock boost control solenoid. you can then either return the boost signal from your MBC to the solenoid, or go straight to the wastegate actuator. if you bypass the solenoid, you will not have the luxury of the ECU controlling boost when it senses engine knock. otherwise, have fun. Btw...max boost you should run on stock fuel system is around 12-13psi. if you go any farther, you may want to consider a Walbro 190lph fuel pump...then it's usually OK to run up to 16psi. just remember, make sure your compression is good (should be 140's-155).

another word of advice...DO NOT boost in 5th, this reportedly can lead to damaging tranny parts. :D:tup:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the reply hot.. i seen on the search where people have hooked theres up but i dont think it was on the 2.2 so iwasnt sure where to run the lines and such. I appreciate the help !!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah... ill definetly need some i would truly truly appreciate it. I know my luck and i would screw it up... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts