Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a t3 .48 (t) .52(c). I am boosting, currently at 5-6 psi. But the problem is, it doesn't really hit full boost until about 4.5k I can see boost start at about 3k rpms, but still climbs all the way to 5psi at 4.5k. Why so much lag? Could it be a boost leak? restriction in the exhaust? I also have the t3 flange with the circle in the center, so I have some exhaust leak from there; could that be affecting my spool up time?

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
id check for a boost leak. My bro's GSX did the same thing. Turns out the owner before him used a cheap silicone only coupler wich blew.

By looking at your pics in the gallery i see you used the cheap clamps instead of T bolt, those are pretty crappy and dont alwase tighten all the way.

It also could be your turbo, you did make a post about it not spinning at idle.:shrug:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Im going to say its your turbo. I didnt read all the way through your other post, but the turbo should spin at idle..... it wont spin super fast but it should definitly spin. I am thinking that your compressor or turbine wheel is rubbing ever so slightly on the housing!! This is also causeing your uber lag!! The turbo you have isnt all that big and should definitly spool faster! I have a t3/to4e, 57trim, .60 hot side and a .63 compressor side, and it starts spooling at about 3200 and i see full bost by about 3700rpm.

Ryan

·
Registered
744 Posts
Turbines getting old me thinks! If you have much shaft play my guess would be the blades are rubbing the turbine housing just enough to slow it down. And eventually when your exhaust is pushing harder at higher RPM's its enough to spin it up to boost. It COULD be a boost leak but Im guessing its not. If you can do anymore more than a wiggle of the turbine shafts its a bad turbo. A turbo that tiny should spin pretty fast at idle.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
You should have had the turbo checked out at Turbo City. You're not that far from it
You could even of had Bryan drop it off for you on the way to work one day:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts