Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

I have a major problem that has just popped its head out in the past couple of days.

I have noticed a considerable drop in boost and i thought it was down to its getting hotter. It is now down to 7 in 4th and i can hear a hissing noise in the cabin from the engine bay. I am guessing that i either have a split pipe (which i cant see anywhere and only hisses under boost) or i am wondering whether or not that my BOV is leaking.

Any answers would be great.

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Could be either your BOV or hoses.

Common thing to check is the throttle body boot....this is hard plastic and cracks over time/age wear.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i have checked that boot, the second thing i checked. I am going to disconnect my bov this afternoon after work and i will see how i will go.

·
Registered
251 Posts
There's been two times in my experience when i got less boost.

1. a missing stud on the exhaust manifold, the pressure made it leak past the gasket. The boost dropped gradually over time, 15 to 14 psi.

2. The 2.5" exhaust flex closed on the entry end to 20mm diameter. The boost went slowly from maximum 21 to maximum 4 psi.

BTW they both made hissing noises

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Unless you actually take the TB boot off you may not see the crack, remembering that it is only opening under boost so when the car isn't moving you probably won't see it... especially if it is on the under side of the boot.

But it could be anywhere in your intake, from the IC, to BOV, to the pipes. I find that the exhaust gasket leak makes more of a ticking noise than a hissing noise... but could be that too.

A little more queer eye, than straight guy! I heard you are taping that tonight Paul?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah you told me too cause you were going out and you didnt want to miss it. Its your favourite show right? You can relate right?

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I'm quite comfortable with my sexuality... I know that I like woman.

So I can quite happily watch a funny show, that happens to star 5 gay men.... why can't you? Afraid you'll catch gay disease?

And no, its not my favourite show, but it is up there. We all know that Dr Phil rocks!

Tripharn

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Yeah well I think that SHOW IS FULL OF >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

not that there is anything wrong with that.
I'm not Gay but am Will to Learn.

On the boost leak try intercooler, it might have cracked, or sprung a leak, that's if you can't find a hose or manifold leak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts