Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Yeah, there's no point whatsoever in buying them. The stock NGK plugs are just fine and far less money.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
bfells93 said:
well i didnt exactly pay for em soo money aint a thang but im sure they have alot of advantages over stock ones
8D

Whatever you wanna tell yourself...

Reactions: Kansas

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Malicious said:
8D

Whatever you wanna tell yourself...
karma for a funny and true post!
absolutely no reason to have 4, i have to admit i did have the ones with two in for a long time but when i went to replace em i asked around and found out that one does just as good of a job.

·
Registered
891 Posts
maybe he got sucked into the idea that his car would go faster. You know like ebay, they say like a cai gives you +20hp. Just to be clear, i thought better spark plugs are for people who pushes their cars like at really high rpm's, cause i think i read in a thread that cheap ones will start acting out

·
Registered
493 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
the only real benifit is longer life. the spark is only going to go to one electrode at a time but when u have 4 to chose from that'll = longer periods between changes

·
Registered
822 Posts
A friend of mine used to do motor racing and he said .... (after i had got some splitfire plugs for another car). Its not worth it. NGK are the best plugs in the world. just get good copper ones. The slight gains that they show gan easily be wiped out by old H.T leads, poor coils, worn engine etc etc, so unless u have a brand new engine etc, go for the NGK plugs and use the saving to change them more often!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
bosh is evil to mazdas. dont even touch them. i have seen countless ppl come into the shop with any mazda and they complain about running rough and they say i just changed the plugs and it still runs bad and i pull them out and they r bosch. put the ngk or denso and never have a problem till they wear out. bosch sucks really badly in mazdas and dont recommend putting them in at all.

Reactions: bfells93

·
Registered
170 Posts
Word yo you all!!!! I have had them in the beast now for six months and I am not impressed whatsever. She starts really hard compared to my old regular NGK plugs.

I am now deciding which is better to put in NGK irdium or Desno Irdium..... I will probably go with the NGKs cause I can pick them up here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If anyone wants to try a set, let me know. I had a set of +4's in a '93 V6. Less than 100 miles on them. Although they seem to work fine, I put in NGK's trying to resolve other problems. Will make someone a deal! PM if interested.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Fr3d said:
bosch won't work that good on our engines. better stick to NGK.

it is proven that normal NGK works best for our cars, 4 cil or 6 cil
bosh [sic] is evil to mazdas
I have personally run Bosch plats (not +2 or +4) and NGKs... they both ran quite the same in my MX6 - no difference. Bosch doesn't work "badly" in the MX6 or anything like that. And, for me, Bosch are cheaper than NGKs, too... so I stick with them.

Bottom line: Bosch works just as well as NGKs in our cars...

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have them in my 6, I have a ze and they work great, no problems at all, I had ngk in before and I found the +4's to have a better response.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Let me dig up some info from my rusty head. If I remember correctly from threads about this topic long ago, Bosh is a german-made product that has a certain gap in the electrode to allow a "hotter spark" to be created.(which is not good for all engines) Im guessing that most german engineered motors work better with a hotter spark. I forgot why. While NGK is a japanese-made product and is designed to create a "colder spark".(think gap difference) I think because most japan made motors have a longer power band or a "higher rpm" range. Its all about thermal characteristics of an engine. However, a hotter spark doesn't mean that an engine will run hotter and vice versa. I think. Could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Umm - "hotter spark" is a misnomer as it has nothing to do with thermal characteristics. "Hotter" spark means that there is more power in the spark (higher voltage and current).

The only thing that determines thermal characteristics is the heatrange of the plug. Those are pretty standardized, so Bosch vs. NGK should make no difference.

You may be thinking about the issue between platinum and standard plugs. Plats have a lower arcover voltage than standard steel-tipped plugs. This helps on ANY car that has a weak ignition system, which I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the MX6 has. In any case, older cars with weaker ignition systems (due to age) tend to improve with platinums simply for this fact, as it's a matter of having a higher probability of arcover vs misfiring on a standard plug.

Bottom line is, that there is little difference in peformance between plat and standard if the gap is the same - the power "loss" in the spark is not very significant, so the plats tend to improve performance simply due to lower misfire rate.

In the end, Bosch plats work just fine, as do NGKs. I will admit that the NGKs last a good long time, which is great for a standard plug, but they still cost more for me than Bosch plats... so I stick with the Bosch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts