Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all -

I recently purchased a used 1994 MX-6 LS with about 123k on it. The car is in really good shape inside and out, and seems to run just fine.

However, after reviewing the maintenance records, it appears as though very little has been done to this car (save regular oil changes) for the last 60,000 miles. In fact, I can find no record of the timing belt ever being replaced (!!!), the fuel filter hasn't been changed since 60k, and most other engine things haven't been touched.

I don't have any experience working on cars, and I was going to dive into it with this one. However, I'm concerned that there is just so much that needs to be replaced that I'm going to be in over my head from the get go.

I live in the SF Bay area (sunnyvale), and was wondering if I should take it somewhere and have them 'bring it up to speed' before I go tinkering around with it - any suggestions on where to take and/or what I should even ask them to do?

Like I said, I do want to get in there and do some work myself, but I only have a couple hours to spare here and there, and I don't want the timing belt to snap or have some other disaster take place while I'm still trying to figure out how to change the oil! :)

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Maintenance....

I am going to refer you to Mike94PGT's site: http://home.golden.net/~trinity/

Click on the maintenance schedule from the menu on the left a voila, there you go. If your timing belt does break, besides your car not running you won't have any issues as our cars are non-interferance, ie. no bent valves etc. All general maintenance items are pretty easy to do. The timing belt and rear valve cover gasket job might take you a while, but they are well within the reach of a decent back yard mechanic. If you have any reservations though I would farm the timing belt job out though. If you run into any specific areas of concern just search this forum and you will most likely turn up something. Welcome to the family!

Your warm and caring Moderator,

Xeon

PS. Mike here's yet another plug, good job on your site!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts