Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... I took the little hose off from the BOV to the intake tubing. I plugged off the hole to the intake (it is air tight). Now in theory my BOV should be audible and nothing should be wrong with my engine correct? But there is. My idle gets all screwed up. It wants to die like there is no tomorrow. What am i doing wrong. Are we not able to do this to our cars or what??? oh yeah I have also tried screwing around with where my idle is set and that doesnt help at all either.

Reactions: n2o_matt

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Yeah the reason it is all screwed up is because the factory BOV was not designed to vent externally. When the car is idling, the BOV will be open venting air to the atmosphere.
I think the reason for it idling poorly is:
This air which is escaping has already been accounted for and therefore the computer is adding fuel for this air which is not really there, causing it to idle poorly.
In order to have an externally venting BOV with a air flow meter like what is on the mx6, you require an adjusable BOV with a tighter spring, so that it you can set it up that it will not be open at idle.

A

·
0 Posts
your exactly right tim...

i'm running a turbosmart type 2... sounds good... works well... but honestly i'm a little sick of pssscccchhtt... so if anyone wants to buy it let me know - comes with a mount pipe to suit mx6 - immediatly after the intercooler

or i'll swap/trade for a plump back... besides - why waste the air - i'd rather plump it back in directly next to the air flow meter...

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
AUSMX6... did u notice that your fuel economy got worse when you installed the turbosmart type 2?? Someone i know reckons that when they took there turbosmart BOV off there laser tx3 turbo, that the fuel economy got better because less fuel was being wasted between gear changes.

A

·
0 Posts
oh definatly - on freeway i get around 500+ off a tank on city cycle i get around 200 - i drive about 10km to work and back each day and a little running around - mainly drags etc and the economy is SCREWED

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Yeah thought it would, I was thinking about getting one until i heard that from the guy with the tx3 turbo. I think i already spend enough on fuel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey thanks a lot guys!

A

·
0 Posts
i have noticed tho - if i wind the spring up a little... make it more of a quick 'psscchhtt' rather the 'pssssssssccccchhhhtttt' it helps alot :)

the stock one on mine was buggered - had a huge crack in it and was leakin boost badly - i'd rather a turbosmart plump back now.... the noise is sooo annoying LOL

(this is not gonna help me sell it lol)

·
Registered
253 Posts
position of BOV

hi guys, are your BOVs located straight out from the turbo, before the stock BOVs? or located at the intercooler outlet piping? i was thinking of putting in a new piping where the stock BOV is, and hang a BOV just behind the radiator fan.

also, do u guys just bung up the stock BOV outlet (exit) or change a pipe altogether? please advise.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Is the increase in fuel consumption a result from all BOVs or are some better than others in this respect?

Reactions: n2o_matt

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I believe it would vary according to the amount of air being vented to the atmosphere during gear changes. Plumb-backs like what is fitted factory will make very little difference, as this air is not leaving the intake. I suspect the larger BOV's venting the most air are most likely to have the bigest affect on fuel consumption, with a lot of extra fuel being added for air that is no longer there. I guess the best way to compromise if you wanted the sound and fuel consumption would be to consider looking for a blow off valve which vents some air to the atmosphere and some back into intake, these are now being made by some companies, but can be more costly.

·
Registered
461 Posts
ok i got a type1 turbo smart BOV and its all sweet ,the sound and the fuel economy as i still get bout 450-500km out of a tank (optimax)
and when i race i cant even hear the BOV coz i change gears really fast so i dont waste any air but if u change em slow off cours ur ecconomy will get worse

·
Registered
428 Posts
What are the little hoses that come off the bov and underneth the pipe just before the turbo. Where do they go and what do they do?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts